Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Art Rifle?

MikeyH

I have had this little brass rifle for many years, it is around 122 mm long and reasonably detailed. Has anyone seen another like this.

It seems to be of a generic rifle pattern and not of a specific type. Any suggestions?

Mike.

post-106539-0-97484200-1410546629_thumb.

That type of silverware/plate was often used as part of shooting cups. With a set of three rifles 'piled' forming the stem of the trophy, we have one that we shoot for in my rifle club. It could be you have part of a broken up trophy, or simply a part that was brought home for some reason, before it was plated.

That type of silverware/plate was often used as part of shooting cups. With a set of three rifles 'piled' forming the stem of the trophy, we have one that we shoot for in my rifle club. It could be you have part of a broken up trophy, or simply a part that was brought home for some reason, before it was plated.

Agreed. probably from a trophy.

During the 1970's, a lot of similar pieces in cast brass were made in India and sold in UK antique shops but these were usually modelled on the SMLE and had bayonets fitted for use as paper knives.

T8HANTS/Radlad

Yes, am aware of that type of piled arms shooting trophy, have a chrome plated 30's example with 3 fairly accurately modelled .303 Enfields.

The brass example pictured is much cruder, with file marks showing, has a definite amatuer look about it, which is why I have always thought it might possibly be an example of 'trench art'.

Mike.

Would be very unusual to have trench art made by casting brass... Lead from shrapnel balls, yes, as the melt temp is achievable, but not brass. If this is 'crude', then I think the Indian mass import answer above is the most likely...

Sorry Mike!

James

James,

Thanks for your response, point taken about brass casting. We do have a few genuine items of 'trench art', including one family piece brought back by my Wife's grandfather from the Great War. Always on the look out for more!

Must get round to visiting your exhibition at Compton Verney.

Mike.