Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1909 Turkish officers sword, translation?

wulfrik-the-wanderer

I picked this Turkish short sword up today for interest sake as I recogised it as Turkish, would anyone be kind enough to translate what is on the blade? And if it is possible a rough valuation?

warm regards,

Haydn

post-93786-0-10981300-1410450923_thumb.j

post-93786-0-33118500-1410451137_thumb.j

post-93786-0-21914300-1410451190_thumb.j

post-93786-0-32782700-1410451209_thumb.j

The first part is 'Allah'. Don't think the second part is 'Akubar' as might be expected, but waiting to see if I can find an Arabist / Osmanli'ist for further details...

The first part is 'Allah'. Don't think the second part is 'Akubar' as might be expected, but waiting to see if I can find an Arabist / Osmanli'ist for further details...

thank you for the start of the interpretation :)

I picked this Turkish short sword up today for interest sake as I recogised it as Turkish, would anyone be kind enough to translate what is on the blade?

The script on the sword blade reads as "Allah Bizimle" which basically translates as God is with us (the Turkish version of Gott Mitt Uns)

Cheers, S>S

The script on the sword blade reads as "Allah Bizimle" which basically translates as God is with us (the Turkish version of Gott Mitt Uns)

Cheers, S>S

excellent, thank you for that, I assume the other bits are perhaps the manufacturer?

I assume the other bits are perhaps the manufacturer?

post-52604-0-49193000-1410497590_thumb.j

Is this stamping found on the reverse of the blade.? Are there any other markings around it.? An overall view would help as this variation is a new one on me ...

Cheers, S>S

Cheers, S>S

And so Osmanli, not Arabic...

Is this stamping found on the reverse of the blade.? Are there any other markings around it.? An overall view would help as this variation is a new one on me ...

Cheers, S>S

yes, the stamp is found to the reverse of the blade with no other markings with it.

post-93786-0-59132800-1410533014_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

It seems to be a very short sword, could it be naval?

I have a Turkish officers sword that was surrendered to my great grandfather (Lt Col Bradley) in 1917 when he entered Bahgdad . It is a lot longer than this one and is curved in the blade. The handle and guard are similar though and the scabbard is brightly polished, possibly chromed with brass hangers and finial. The markings are a little different too.