Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern1888 bayonet Question

juno-44

No maker's marks at all because it is an Enfield made bayonet! The big P.1888 boys will be in soon like sharks at a feeding frenzy, as this is a nice example. Made July 1895, and with Enfield inspector's marks and the WD for War department stamp. Interesting double 'VR' stamp

Watch out for those fingermarks on the metal: finger tips contain acids so clean them off... Try not to handle the blade with bare hands.

Trajan

EDIT: to answer the question properly... And welcome on board Juno-44!

Ayup TRAGAN...

Interpreting Michel's question... he was enquiring as to why the makers logo was missing from the ricasso. Has it been ground off (inline with the initial question), or was it never there? This particular bayonet, although I do have a couple, is not in my field of expertise. From what I have read in other posts, its certainly within your scope.

I also would like to know if this particular mark was seen with a makers logo, or did that appear on more later models/marks?

Seph

Cheers Seph - I was editing it to answer the question properly when yours came in. So, should be clear now? Mind you, I could be wrong as I am away from home, collection and books and can't check... If I am though there will be a reply in soon to correct me! :thumbsup:

Julian

PS: FINALLY tracked down your old posts! We were in harbour to get water yesterday and I had an hour or so uninterrupted internet time.

Hi Michel,

As stated by Trajan, this is an Enfield made bayonet that never had a maker's name. According to shippingsteel on an earlier post the complete lack of an EFD maker's name stopped around 1895. I've posted below pictures of 2 of mine, the first quite similar to yours (also double-struck!), then a later Enfield one.

Cheers,

Tony

Seconded - wipe those fingerprints off fast!!!

post-22051-0-75926700-1410377650_thumb.j

post-22051-0-83481700-1410377663_thumb.j

post-22051-0-86747500-1410377718_thumb.j

post-22051-0-56613600-1410377728_thumb.j

Hi Seph,

Just noticed your second question. I believe it is only the earlier Enfields that had no maker's name. I have a 91 marked Wilkinson, and a 95 Sanderson.

Cheers,

Tony

As stated by Trajan, this is an Enfield made bayonet that never had a maker's name. According to shippingsteel on an earlier post the complete lack of an EFD maker's name stopped around 1895. I've posted below pictures of 2 of mine, the first quite similar to yours (also double-struck!), then a later Enfield one.

Tony, that second one is a bit of an eye-opener with its '16 stamp! Thanks for sharing that one and the other.

Julian