Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial - Diaries - Photos?

Dean From Leeds

Apologies if this is in the wrong section,

I am looking for information on George Henry Hitchen who was reported as missing presumed dead on the 1st July 1916. I believe he was in the Leeds Pals and I have only found the document that stated "presumed dead".

He is commemorated at the Thiepval monument however I cannot find where there is any commemoration in his home town of Leeds.

He was married at St Judes church which was on the corner of Leathley Road and Hunslet Road however this church was demolished in the 1950's, subsequent investigation with west Yorkshire archives showed that "marble plinths" were moved to St Mary's church at Hunslet however no-one there has any recollection of these. I am desperate to find a memorial for him in Leeds so any help / hints would be appreciated as where it may be.

Also any information as to where he served, war diaries etc would be appreciated and if by any chance anyone had a photograph of him I would be over the moon to see it.

Does anyone know a Hitchen from Leeds that may know more about him and where his medals would be?

I have found him mentioned in the book "Leeds Pals" so that, the Thiepval memorial and his "presumed dead" information is all I have.

As I said earlier any help would be appreciated, as you can guess I am new to this research lark and would love to find out more about him.

Thanks Dean

First name(s) GEORGE HENRY Last name HITCHEN Service number 15/1772 Rank PRIVATE Regiment Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) Battalion 15th Battalion. Birth place LEEDS Residence - Enlistment place LEEDS Death year 1916 Death day 1 Death month 7 Cause of death Killed in action Death place France & Flanders Theatre of war Western European Theatre

volunteered June 1915 and underwent a period of training prior to being drafted to France. Took part in the heavy fighting on the Somme and reported missing on 1st July. now presumed KIA. entitled to General Service and Victory medals.

"thinking that rememberence, though unspoken may reach him where he sleeps" 21 Bridgewater terrace, Hunslet, Leeds

reading the rest of your post, for a 1st day of the Somme casualty, if a dealer has your medals and death plaque expect to pay in the region of £500, if it were a trio then £600.

medals could be in the regimental or town museum, best do a search for completed and current listings on ebay also do a search on google as independent medal dealers may have if n the market and not in a collection. further to this, any war memorial in England should be on war graves project, most are listed with pictures. it could be that there was a plaque on a wall of a factory or hall that has since been demolished and scrapped unless someone has rescued it. more relevant now than 50 years ago when scrap was higher valued.

Chaz,

Many thanks for the information, could you please let me know where if possible I could find more information as to where he trained (assumed colsterdale) and served?

I am also led to believe that he may have gone to Egypt first?

Thanks Dean

Good evening Dean.

No overseas service in Egypt with the 15th Battalion, WYR.

Quite a 'Late' number, suggests enlistment mid 1915, possibly another "E" Company man, left behind when the Battalion proceeded overseas.

Best wishes.

Chris.

Chris, Many thanks for the information it is appreciated.

RemeDesertRat, thanks for the information, I have his No as 15/1772 could he have changed to the 19th battalion?

I would love to find his name on a memorial in Leeds but I am struggling to find one.

I will follow up all information provided to the best of my abilitiy.

RemeDesertRat, thanks for the information, I have his No as 15/1772 could he have changed to the 19th battalion?

Not sure, just seems very coincidental two chaps from Leeds with same name in same regiment, although I may be wrong? might be worth checking if there were two chaps with the same name, although I wouldn't know how to check? perhaps ancestry if you have or know someone with an account?

FYI there's a short article in the Yorkshire Evening post, Monday 7th August 1916, entitled Men Who Have Not Been Heard Of.

"Mrs. A Hitchen, of 12, Chambers Street, Accommodation Road, Hunslet, asks for further news of her husband, Pte G. H. Hitchen, C Co. Leeds Pals, who is reported missing since July 1".

jp1885, Many thanks for the information, may I ask how you found this information?