Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deolali Government Cemetery

stuart rowles

Does anyone have any information about the crosses/headstones in this cemetery.

I am seeking more information about:

ALBERT ROWLES, died 26.7.1919 and buried there. His name was later added to the Kirkee 1914-18 Memorial at Poona.

From paperwork I found on-line it seems that a headstone or cross was erected.

Could I find a picture of this anywhere.

Could I find a plan of the cemetery also.

I believe this cemetery was later abandoned to the CWGC.

Any help much appreciated.

Sorry: do you mean abandoned by? Abandoned to seems an odd expression.

Rolloman, If you have access to the British Library in London, the following may be of interest.

The BACSA Archive at the British Library has a catalogue reference to three cemeteries at Deolali: Infantry Road, Lawrence Road and Old Bazaar. The British Library catalogue reference is Mss Eur F370/141

I do not know whether the “Deolali Government Cemetery” is the same as the Infantry Road Cemetery, or one of the other two. or whether it is a completely different cemetery.

The contents of the items in Mss Eur F370 vary. "Some files contain little information. Others may include information of all kinds, for example photographs, reports and correspondence on the cemetery's condition, burial registers, copies of inscriptions, notes on individuals buried there, or descriptions of the town in which the cemetery is situated"

There does not appear to be a BACSA publication/Cemetery book about Deolali

The BACSA website is http://www.bacsa.org.uk

BACSA - the British Association for Cemeteries in South Asia

Cheers

Maureen

I apologize for the typo.

I meant to say the cemetery was abandoned BY the CWGC.

Should have gone to specsavers!

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/5001697/DEOLALI%20GOVERNMENT%20CEMETERY

Location Information

Deolali (also known as Devlali) is a Cantonment in the Nashik District of Maharashtra State. It is about 175 kilometres north-east of Mumbai, a journey which takes approximately 4 hours by road. There are trains to Nashik from both Mumbai and Pune, although the cemetery itself is 12 kilometres away from Nashik Railway Station. The cemetery is located inside the Cantonment area south of Nashik.
The nearest landmark is an old abandoned cinema called ‘Cathy Cinema’ which is close to the cemetery entrance gate. The cemetery also shares its boundary with the army football field. The cemetery is available on Google maps as “British Christian Cemetery, Nashik, Maharashtra, India ”.

Visiting Information

Permission is required to visit the cemetery for those visitors using the main road, as this passes through the main gate of the cantonment or controlled military area. Permission can be gained from the station staff officer of the military area, who can be located at the main gate of the cantonment at the following address:
Station Staff Officer
Station Headquarters
Devlali Cantonment
Nashik, Maharashtra
Permission does not need to be sought in advance, but can be given by verbal request on the day of the visit.
Access to the rear of the cemetery is possible via the civilian area, where no permission is required, but there is no proper road, which makes vehicular access difficult.
Most of the CWGC graves are located on the right hand side of the cemetery entrance gate. The rest are scattered in smaller groups throughout the cemetery. All the CWGC graves have a steel tag marked ‘CWGC’ behind the grave marker.

CWGC have recently started re-establishing the Indian cemeteries, this man http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1465529/DEWEY,%20HENRY%20JOHN was commemorated on Kirkee, with a note on his CWGC record that he was actually buried at Bolarum Cavalry Barracks. Now his place of commemoration has returned to Bolarum.

It's worth looking at the India Office records on FindMyPast http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/search-all-uk-records/special-collections/british-india-office-collection as these will probably contain an original burial return.

Just had a look at the Find My Past site as you suggested.

Yes there was an entry for him and I found an entry for another man I am researching. Brilliant.

Thanks for that advice.

Do you think there exists a photograph of the original headstone or cross at Deolali.

• 8 months later...

Hey there!

Hope you are doing well.

With reference to your post "Does anyone have any information about the crosses/headstones in this cemetery." I can help you with the images of all the graves in that cemetery. I stay in Deolali, Nasik, India about 1.5 Kms away from this cemetery. I am fond of collecting vintage items, bikes, images etc.. Historical stuff. Quite a some time ago I used to visit this cemetery on a frequent basis and notices the graves there are centuries old. At the entrance of this cemetery there is a grave on its headstone the date is 1902 and there are about 50 graves lined up there.

Most importantly, I noticed that in that cemetery there is a Marble statue of Mother Mary, do you have any information about that statue?

I am sure the one you are looking "ALBERT ROWLES" his grave will be there in that cemetery.

I will be visiting this weekend to that cemetery to check the headstone of "ALBERT ROWLES" if fortunately I am able to spot it. I will send you the images of his grave.

However, Deolali army officials should have the information of "ALBERT ROWLES".

I will keep you posted on that.

Thank you.

I have found this:

Albert Rowles Born Eccles Resident Weaste Enkisted Salford L/Corporal Lancashire Fusiliers 2/7th Battalion 280083 Died 15/4/1917
CWG 111.C.1 Browns Road Military Cemetery Festubert

Read more: http://salfordwarmemorials.proboards.com/thread/908/st-marys-eccles?page=2#ixzz3bybj48SL

Please refer to the above URL see if you can extract any useful information from it.

Thanks.

Morning

many thanks for joining and posting your generous offer.

May I add one name to the above please,

William PEPLOW in Grave RC.N.11

(Rowles is in Plot CE. Row M. Grave 2.)

The CWGC, however, has this in their website

Visiting Information

Permission is required to visit the cemetery for those visitors using the main road, as this passes through the main gate of the cantonment or controlled military area. Permission can be gained from the station staff officer of the military area, who can be located at the main gate of the cantonment at the following address:
Station Staff Officer
Station Headquarters
Devlali Cantonment
Nashik, Maharashtra
Permission does not need to be sought in advance, but can be given by verbal request on the day of the visit.

many thanks once again,

Regards,

Graeme

Morning Graeme,

Thank you for your warm welcome note. Appreciate that.

Sure, If I am able to find William Peplow's grave I will share the picture with you.

Yes. There is a lot of information on William Peplow’s services and death over the CWGC website.

Thank you.

Zaheer Ameer

• 1 month later...

Hi Zaheer,

Just picked up on your post.

I would be delighted if you could find his original headstone and take a photo. That would be fantastic.

I recently found out that his medals were sold last year on an auction site. I would have loved to have bought them.

Good hunting.

• 1 year later...
On 9/10/2014 at 13:31, stuart rowles said:

Does anyone have any information about the crosses/headstones in this cemetery.

I am seeking more information about:

ALBERT ROWLES, died 26.7.1919 and buried there. His name was later added to the Kirkee 1914-18 Memorial at Poona.

From paperwork I found on-line it seems that a headstone or cross was erected.

Could I find a picture of this anywhere.

Could I find a plan of the cemetery also.

Any help much appreciated.

Dear Sir,

I was posted 5 years in Nasik from 2004 to 2009, I was happy since my father too worked as a structural Engg here in 1950,

I am a lover of history, and people who served here many years back, some died here so they must have had relatives who lived in England, now i stay in mumbai, if you need anything to be found out here I am at your service, I work for BMW dealers , I belive strongly My day is made if at all I can be of some use to someone searching their Loved ones in INDIA

On 9/12/2014 at 14:39, David_Underdown said:

CWGC have recently started re-establishing the Indian cemeteries, this man http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1465529/DEWEY,%20HENRY%20JOHN was commemorated on Kirkee, with a note on his CWGC record that he was actually buried at Bolarum Cavalry Barracks. Now his place of commemoration has returned to Bolarum.

It's worth looking at the India Office records on FindMyPast http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/search-all-uk-records/special-collections/british-india-office-collection as these will probably contain an original burial return.

Kirkee is near pune about 150 kms from mumbai, trains are there daily morning and afternoon, its easy travel the ticked itself is less than Rs.200/- only