Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

59th Siege Battery RGA

smaaa

Can anyone help me find the war diary of 59th Siege Battery RGA? I cannot locate it at the National Archives in Kew.

I am particularly interested in the period of post 1915 and events leading up to the death of Lieutenant Albert Alexander Robinson on July 20th 2016. He was killed in action between Mametz and Montauban on the Somme.

Lt Robinson is commemorated on memorials in our church and I am trying to piece together his biography with some success, having located his service record and medal card, and recently visited his grave in Danzig Alley cemetery but have come up against a brick wall trying to find his unit's war diary.

Any help that members can provide would be very much appreciated

With many thanks - SMAAA

Lieut. Albert Alexander Robinson, RGA

Born 12 Sept. 1894 the son of William Alexander Robinson, jP of Bassien, Burma, an officer in the Indian Imperial Police and his wife Edith (née Bugler)

Educated at St. Paul's School (Cadet, OTC) from 1980 to July 1912 and University College, London from 1912-1914 (1st Class Cert, in Chemistry and Physics; BSc, 1916)

Gazetted 2nd Lieut., RGA on 27 Nov 1914

Went to the Front in August 1915

Officer Commanding, Trench Mortar Battery, Loos Offensive, 1915

Transferred to the 1st Siege Battery

Later transferred to the 59th Siege Battery

Killed in action by shrapnel on the Somme on 20 July 1916 and buried near Montauban

Later interred in Danzig Alley British Cemetery.

Sources: St. Paul's School Registers; Record of Those Members of University College London & of University College Hospital and Medical School Who Were Killed or Who Died on Service: 1914-1919, Volume 2; The Pauline, November 1916; War Diary 1914-1919 59 Siege Battery, R.G.A.;

post-765-0-94351000-1410305934_thumb.jpg

Smaaa

It looks like the diary isn't in the National Archives catalogue although I wonder if any other copies exist as rflory has referenced the diary in his post.

For their time in France up to the end of July 1916 the battery were with 7 Artillery Brigade then 42nd HAG then 3rd HAG. If you can get to Kew their diaries are under WO95/210, WO95/223 and WO95/297.

Peter

The war diary I refer to in my post above is seven pages of typescript that were written by Major C W Fryers, commanding 59th Siege Battery, RGA that was produced at Antwerp on 17 June 1919. It is titled 'War Diary of 59 Siege Battery, R.G.A.' I have a second item titled 'War Diary 1914-1919 59 Siege Battery, R.G.A. (Late 25 Western Divn. R.A.)' which is six pages of typescript. On the last page is the statement: 'The above was copied from the official Battery War Diary.' The National Archives indicates that the war diary for the Battery has not been traced.

Dick Flory

Dick and Peter - you may have received a reply from em already as I had written one which seems to have disappeared before I sent it! Thank you so much for your information. I am thrilled that you have helped me solve the mystery of the war diary and absolutely delighted to have a photograph - can you tell me where this came from?

I live very near to Kew and have a reader's ticket so can easily pop along there to look up the 7 Artillery Brigade diary (the others I think relate to periods after he died)

Dick, you have answered the question to which I have been seeking an answer for some time -that he died of shrapnel wounds - is there any more information in the diary about whether he was an isolated casualty hit by a stray shell or whether others were killed with him? The date of his death, 20 July 1916, was I believe the date of the attack on High Wood so there would presumably have been a lot of exchange of artillery fire? Do we know if he was with the battery at the time or in some forward observation post perhaps?

Many thanks again - this is far more than I had dared hope!

Cathie James (smaaa)

Dear Dick

I don't seem to have received a reply to my post of 10 September seeking further information (see above)

If you can answer any of my further queries I would be very grateful

Cathie (smaaa)

Cathie: Sorry for the delay but I have had cataract surgery and fell behind on my forum messages. The photo comes from Record of Those Members of University College London & of University College Hospital and Medical School Who Were Killed or Who Died on Service: 1914-1919, Volume 2. The 59th Siege Battery war diary that I have gives no further information about his death other than it was due to shrapnel.

Dick Flory

Dear Dick Thank you so much for this further information. I do hope your cataract surgery went well and, in the circumstances, I'm very grateful to you for getting back to me so quickly. I'm sorry I hassled you re a reply!

If you have the time and it's not too much trouble, if it were possible for you to send me a copy of the page from the 59th Siege Battery war diary that records Lt Robinson's death that would be very helpful.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have his photograph, He appears to be in the uniform of the Middlesex Regiment . I know from his service record WO339/14682 that he held a Cadet Commission in the 2nd Territorials Cadet Battalion attached to 8th Middlesex TF, presumably when he was at university and so presumably this photograph was taken during that time.

Many thanks again

Cathie (smaaa)

Cathie: I think that you are correct about the cadet uniform of the Middlesex. PM me your email address and I will send you a scan of the page of the 59th history that records his death. Regards, Dick Flory