Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zulu and WW1

markinbelfast

Mark

Pte. John Williams (Fielding) VC (Rorke's Drift) served with the South Wales Borderers at home during the Great War.

Ed

I also understand that Col. Sgt. Frank Bourne (awarded DCM for Rorke's Drift) served during the Great War. I'm away from my references at the moment but will add more later!

Ed

Not the Zulu War ... but I thought you'd like this old timer from the same era who managed to wangle his way 'in' to WW1!

Sapper Charles Loughrey, Carninney, Ballymena, of the Royal Engineers, who has had six month's experience of the front, has been discharged with a pension owing to the loss of an eye caused by a splinter from a shell.

Sapper Loughrey is an employee of Mr. John Carson, Builder. He is an old campaigner and was through the Afghan war in '79 with the Cameronians. He is 60 years of age and like an old warrior he enjoyed his service at the front.

Comparing the luck of some with his own experience, he says: "Some of the young ones are out more than three years and I was only 8 days up in the danger zone when I got it in the eye. Sure I was through the Afghan war and only got a wee skit of a bullet."

Ballymena Observer, September 7, 1917.

I recently attended the Angels and Heroes exhibition at the Royal Irish Fusiliers regimental Museum in Armagh which covers the R.I.F's involvement in the first eight months of WWI. In one glass display they had a photo of about 20 men taken in Zululand during that war of which three in the photo later served as officers (captain and above) with the 1st Bn R.Ir. Fus. during 1914-1915: Kentish, Burrowes were two I recall from the photo, but i would have to check my notes.

Kevin.

I also understand that Col. Sgt. Frank Bourne (awarded DCM for Rorke's Drift) served during the Great War. I'm away from my references at the moment but will add more later!

Ed

Frank Bourne went on to be Lt Colonel OBE DCM... died 1945!

During the Great War, he rejoined and became Adjutant of the School of Musketry in Dublin.

I found this on him, on the Rorkes Drift site.

Bourne

Les.

• 3 years later...
General Sir Horace Smith- Dorrien was a survivor of Isandhlwana in 1879.

He then went back with the Naval Brigade.

My grandfather, born 1877, as Private, 7425, W McKegg, 2nd Vol Service Coy, Royal Lancaster Regiment (Boer War, 1899-1902). I have his Boer War Discharge Certificate (but nothing else so don't know when and where). He also served as Gunner, 150493, 177th HB Royal Garrison Artillery (WW1, Mesopotomia).

Mabel

Having been taken to task for posting this to the Rourke's Drift thread I put the link here. Zulu Vet Anyone know if he (and his last son ) survived WW1

Sorry chaps - completely misunderstood the original posting (dementia seems to be setting in!). Will go away and put myself in the corner with Dunce's cap on. Apologies to all.

Mabel