Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Brandon - Beds Regt.

ChrisC

I was in Luton Church Burial Ground recently, photographing for the British War Memorial Project and I came upon private graves with the following inscriptions:

Frederick Brandon

Pte. Beds Reg.

Died 16th January 1920

Aged 41

William Henry Gosling (or Cosling)

Who died 24th June 1921 as a result of War service

Aged 25 years

They do not seem to be on CWGC records - at least I can't find them.

Any ideas? Were they discharged by that time? If so in the first case why "Pte. Beds Reg." on the stone?

Help appreciated.

Chris

It was quite common for relatives to put former ranks/regiments on headstones immediately after the war as events were still very fresh in their minds - even if the death had no connection with their war service.

If the person died after discharge, to qualify for war grave status and CWGC listing, the death would have had to be due to their war service. Often this was not provable or the relatives simply believed it to be so and the authorities disagreed. Relatives often ascribed poor health post-war to 'experiences in the trenches' whether true or not.

Headstone inscriptions cannot be taken as 'evidence' as they are so often coloured by peronal beliefs and grief.

There is also the chance that they were discharged and do qualify for war grave status but the military authorities/CWGC were never informed of the death. This is the usual reason why many names are still being added to the lists after all this time.

Hi Chris

Is your enquiry out of curiosity or ae you 'involved' in the Beds Reg in some way?

Steve

Steve - now we're in touch by email we can discuss / swap information.

Terry - thanks, you put perspective on these things with your knowledge of the subject. Would either soldier / ex soldier be on SDGW or do you know of another way I could gather infomation that could establish whether either had passed away as a result of their War service? How difficult does this process usually prove to be?

Chris