Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Army in India - July 1914

lostinspace

As usual, searching for something else came across this pdf file and thought it might be of interest to some. I looked for this title on the forum and didn't find any reference to it, but understand (given the accuracy of the forum search) someone else may have posted it previously - http://www.ordersofbattle.darkscape.net/site/cimh/british%20india/indian_army_1914.pdf . I have done some research on the pre-war army in India (usually on the British battalions) and haven't come across this level of detail regarding where the various garrisons were actually located and how the regular battalions were split up throughout India.

Dave

Very useful reference document. Thanks for posting Dave.

John

As usual, searching for something else came across this pdf file and thought it might be of interest to some. I looked for this title on the forum and didn't find any reference to it, but understand (given the accuracy of the forum search) someone else may have posted it previously - http://www.ordersofbattle.darkscape.net/site/cimh/british%20india/indian_army_1914.pdf . I have done some research on the pre-war army in India (usually on the British battalions) and haven't come across this level of detail regarding where the various garrisons were actually located and how the regular battalions were split up throughout India.

Dave

Thanks for posting this Dave. My grandfather joined the Seaforth in 1907 and was in India from 1909. It is interesting that his Bn. was "on notice for Glasgow" when war was declared and they were sent to France.

Hazel C

Thanks for posting. A very useful document.

Dave

I'd agree with that. Extremely useful. Thanks.

You're welcome. This is (apparently) the author - 'Charles Tustin Kamps (BA, Norwich University; MA, Kansas State University) is currently professor of war gaming at Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama. He previously served as a combat arms officer in both the US Army and the US Navy. He is a military historian who has authored numerous defense-related books and articles and has designed several commercially published war games and educational-software applications. His books include The History of the Vietnam War (1988), Armies of NATO’s Central Front (1985), and Peripheral Campaigns and the Principles of War (1982). He is a graduate of Air War College.' (from the webpage 'Operation Eagle Claw: The Iran Hostage Rescue Mission'), perhaps information for a board type (war) game?

Dave

• 1 month later...
Guest Slowwideload

I'm very new to researching family and military history but have been trying to find out about my grandfather in India.

He was in Meerut with the Seaforth Highlanders in 1922 and we have a photograph, labelled on the back, 'The whole dam family at 42 Bungalow Meerut, India. The day before the long trek to Landi Katal in which Jock took part 12 Nov 1922'. I realise this is the inter-war years but from what I have seen you are all very knowledgeable and I wondered if you could shed any light on this trek. I can remember the family talking about a forced march of a hundred miles but so far I can't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Slowwgeload, it seems likely that the Regiment was changing cantonments (garrisons), from Meerut to Landi Kotal, which generally happened in the cooler weather. The general method of transporting troops was by train, when this mode of transport was available, but otherwise the soldiers walked/marched. Up until 1881 the infantry regiments were named “Regiments of Foot”. This refers to the fact that the soldiers walked/marched, rather than riding on horses.

Landi Kotal was situated near the Khyber Pass and the railway was not extended there until 1925. It is now about 50km from Peshawar by road, but the route appears to be over mountains. In 1922, I assume the regiment would have travelled to the nearest train station and walked/marched from there, or perhaps if that route was not suitable, they had to walk from Peshawar, either over the mountains, or by a longer route.

However, I think it unlikely to be what is known these days as a “forced march”, it was probably due to the fact that there was no other means of getting a large number of soldiers to Landi Kotal. Regiments changed garrisons on a regular basis, so this would not have been an unusual occurrence.

For more information, including links to photographs, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki pages Khyber Pass, and Landi Kotal.

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Khyber_Pass

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Landi_Kotal

Cheers

Maureen

Guest Slowwideload

Thank you so much for these links and information Maureen. It is amazing that there are people like yourself willing to help others with their searches.

I will now get on and have a further look.

Thanks again.

Slowwideload

(Jeanette)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a large group photo of soldiers in KARACHI at a guess the photo is between 1912-16 and most likely it is 1916 with members of most probably-The Dorset 4ths, two of my great uncles are in the photo they were born in Bournemouth & Swanage Dorset and my Great Grandfather from a different Branch of my family, who was a travelling Carter from Wiltshire, he also worked and resided in Dorset and Somerset & is also in the photo; he was in the RFA and also the RGA and I believe in the Dorset 4ths. I also have acouple of other photos featuring my relatives and a couple of familiar photos of men that appear in other Dorset Regiment Photos.

I have a few drips of service info that goes with each family member which may help others who may wish to try to work out if their family members are also in the photo. I'm new to this, so I'd appreciate advice on whether I should post the photo on this thread or would it be best to try to start a new thread, thanks in anticipation. :)

Newbie Bee,

This little gem may add spice to the topic:

Congella Camp, Durban, South Africa - November 1914 showing troops returning from India for UK.

On my full resolution pic, the troops can be clearly seen.

Roop

post-3925-0-39643200-1415594064_thumb.jp

Bell,

Yes, I would definitely post your photo in the 'soldiers' section of the forum, more chances of it being seen and commented on, also give as much info about the unit and the men as you are comfortable with.

Regards,
Dave