Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Gazette site

Joy Dean

Please can anyone find an entry for Frank John Watts?

Frank was awarded The Military Medal 3 October 1918:
'From Headquarters, Fourth Army To No 700446 Private F J Watts, London Regiment, attached French Mortar Battery
I congratulate you on the gallantry and devotion to duty for which you have been awarded The Military Medal. General Sir H S Rawlinson, Commanding Fourth Army.'

Is this what you are looking for?

Issue 31142

Page 1235

Phil

Thank you very much. I had searched and searched and not found him. I wonder why it doesn't say Military Medal, and why it was at the beginning of the following year.

Less is sometimes more. To find him I just entered his service number in the search box, nothing else.

You will need to go back through the pages to find the announcement.

If the action for which he was awarded the MM was in October 1918, the rule of thumb is that it is gazetted about three months later.

Phil

Less is sometimes more. To find him I just entered his service number in the search box, nothing else.

You will need to go back through the pages to find the announcement.

If the action for which he was awarded the MM was in October 1918, the rule of thumb is that it is gazetted about three months later.

Phil

Thank you. I hadn't thought of putting just his service number. The action was actually in August.

post-2432-0-86529000-1409948029_thumb.jp

Thank you very much. I had searched and searched and not found him. I wonder why it doesn't say Military Medal, and why it was at the beginning of the following year.

it will say military medal at the start of the announcement not on every page