Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedford and Wrentham Camps

GenetB

My great uncle served with the 2/1st Brecknockshire Battalion which was absorbed by the 2/7 RWF and moved to Bedford and then Wrentham before active service in France from July 1916. Can anyone give me any information on Bedford and Wrentham ? I assume they were training camps?

Bedford (County town of Bedfordshire) on the Ouse River.

It was the war station for the Highland Division until May 1915 when the final elements moved to France - see: http://bedfordhighlanders.blogspot.com/

I believe elements of the RWF went there then and stayed until July of that year see: http://www.1914-1918.net/rwf.htm

Raster Scanning has a long running thread with lots of pictures

About 12 miles from Bedford is the town I grew up in and there is a RWF connection there too from the same period SEE HERE

Chris

Hello Chris, thanks for your reply. So was it a training camp? Or a station? I am trying to find out how long my relative stayed there. He was there in February 1916, then according to his service record embarked for France 30th July 1916. So quite possible that he didn't go to Wrentham at all. I am also trying to establish why he arrived at Bedford with the 2/1st Brecknockshire/RWF but was then transferred to the 2nd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment shortly after he arrived in France. Probably need another thread for that.

Sorry confusing terminology on my part.

Bedford was the location where the Highland Brigade assembled and trained after they had mobilized and prior to going to France (known as their "War Station")

It was not really a "camp" as such although there were tented encampments created in local parks etc but they constructed rifle ranges and other training facilities there and did a lot of training to bring the TF units up to war readiness. I suspect these were taken over and used by subsequent units (such as elements of the 68th Div.) after the highlanders left. I know there was a sizeable contingent of Engineers in Bedford later in the war.

An additional thread that would attract the attention of a RWF expert might be the best bet (perhaps under units and formations heading?) My suspicion would be (guess!) that if he was transferred immediately upon arrival in France he was part of a draft to make up the numbers of the 2nd Bn Monmouthshire Regt. who were the Pioneer Battalion of the 29th Division by that point I think.

Chris