Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Assassin of Gallipoli

Guest bonza

There was also a previous thread with this link on it Pat. Something about snipers and Gallipoli I think?

Tim

G'day Mates

Thanks very much for the interesting account..

The sniper topic is an interesting one.. and for sure not easy to "investigate". In all the armies they were very good sharpshooters... many historians are likely thinking that the Germans were very deadly ones.. because of their ground knowledge..

I wonder how the claims were confirmed ?..

Regards

Yves

• 2 years later...

There is a really interesting and well written book called Through the Crosshairs – A History of Snipers by Andy Dougan (ISBN: 0-7867-1523-5) that traces the history of the sniper from the English Civil War to Vietnam in which Billy Sing gets a mention – page 190 ff.

Disappointingly this book has no index but it's worth a read.

Zack

I am a Gallipoli novice so I don’t know if this is well-known, I spotted it at Embarkation Pier Cemetery in September.

S

post-1722-1192307353.jpg

Bill

Thanks for that. An interesting site - wonder where they got the statistics from? I've read articles that credit Sing with 200 kills. The Canadian dominance is also interesting.

Zack

Hi Bill,

A very interesting site you gave. It looked like the Russian ladies were quite a good shot also.

I have never heard of William Edward Sing until I read the Assassin of Gallipoli thread.

I noticed in the AWM in the awards section, that his middle name was different in one of his awards. They have him as William Ernest Sing.

John

As a bit of aside pals might be interested viewing an ABC production called ‘1915’ which was screened in 1982 which tells the story of two young men Walter Gilchrist and Billy Mackenzie, two young men who were childhood friends who join up and end up fighting on Gallipoli. The series follows the journey of both young men and their families. In this seven-part drama the character 'Billy' is sort of based on Billy Sing and for those who haven’t seen this serial it’s definitely worth a look – it’s available on DVD. 'Billy' in the serial is called “the murderer” a nomenclature given to Sing when he was sniping on Gallipoli. The series doesn't of course reflect the real life of Sing at all but well worth a look as it shows the impact of war on the soldiers and those at home. No one escapes the horrors of war is the message.

Zack

Guest Bill Woerlee

Simon

Thanks for the pic. I have added that to my file on Baker. BTW, here is a pic of him taken as a young man just about to go to war. It is on the AWM collections site with catalogue number: DA08205

I am wondering if you have any other pix of 9th LHR tombstones from Gallipoli?

Cheers

Bill

A fascinating thread.

Does anyone know if Trooper Tom Sheehan recovered from his wounds?

Regards

Mel

Mel,

Yes he did. He was discharged as an invalid in March 1916, re-enlisted Jun 1916 and was again discharched as medically unfit in February 1918.

His Service Record is here http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp If it doesn't work go the the National Archives of Australia website and search the service records 1914 -1918 for Sheehan. His is on the first page.

Chris

SING, Private William Edward, DCM, C. de G. (Belgian), MiD No. 355, Occupation: Horse-driver, of Proserpine, near Mackay, Queensland. Next of Kin listed as: Mother; Mrs. M Sing, of P.O., Clermont, Queensland. Source: Original; Joined Regiment as Trooper, 8/12/1914, aged 28. Transferred to 31 Bn 4/1/1917. Wounded August 25 1915. Discharged. Photos known to exist in The Queenslander16 Jan 1915 p22, 9 Oct 1915 p25.

photo

‘Special men were set off as snipers, and taken off other duties to allow them to give exclusive attention to their special job. As a sample of the work done, that of No. 355, W.E. Sing, can be referred to. Up to the end of September, this man was responsible for 150 casualties to the Turks through sniping. A special firing position was erected for him overlooking the Turkish lines at ranges from 150 to 400 yards. ...Sing was awarded the D.C.M. for his excellent work in this respect.’ (Wilson p32).

Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM), Croix de Guerre (C.de G). (Belgian), Mentioned in Despatches (MiD).; (Bean Vol 2 (?))

DCM citation:

'For conspicuous gallantry from May to September, 1915, at Anzac, as a sniper. His courage and skill were most marked, and he was responsible for a very large number of casualties among the enemy, no risk being too great for him to take.'

'The Army Corps Commander desires to thank the 25th and 28th Battalion, A.I.F., for the energy displayed by them in the collection of arms and equipment while stationed at Apex. He publishes with satisfaction the report that Trooper W. E. Sing, of the 5th L.H. Regiment, in performing his duty at a sniping post, has accounted for 201 casualties to the enemy. This excellent record has been attained by vigilance, resource, and good shooting, and it was hoped that Trooper Sing's example would be followed by other snipers.' (Brisbane Courier 10 Feb 1916 p7).

See Courtney, R. 'The deadly career of Billy Sing' in Wartime. Summer 2001, pp 18 - 21. (so-so article).

• 3 weeks later...

Ali

Baker's name may have been mentioned because of the epitaph on his grave that says he was killed whilst sniping.

I am certainly no expert but I understand that a lot of the casualties on both sides were from snipers, and that even duels or other shooting contests between the opponents were common. It is the only epitaph that I have seen which mentions sniping.

There are ways of finding out Bakers' particular story. Say if you would like some help.

On reading through this discussion the reference to "Snipers Central" has been made.

Might I ask why?

How did the reference "Put Sing in perspective"?