Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 4 Battery Motor Machine Gun Service

frispy819

Hi - My Great Uncle served with this unit in France between 5/7/1916 and 4/6/1917.

During this time he was wounded and suffered illness, spending several periods in various medical establishments - listed in his service record as "57 FA", 70 FA, "FA BRS", 3 CCS, 4 Lan FA, 3 Can CCS and 32 Staty (?) Hospital Boulogne.

I'd like to track his movements while on active service however I cannot find any information on his unit and while the medical units give some clues they tend to be vague and contradictory.

Can anyone help. His name was James Moffat, his regimental number was 1463 and he enlisted 14/5/1915.

• 9 years later...

I cannot assist further, but have come across the following individual in this unit.

Reginald Curtis, born 1891

Enlisted under SR terms of service around 28 Oct 1914 in the South Wales Borderers, 15089. Disembarked in France on 21 Feb 1915 to join 1st Battalion. Transferred to the Motor Machine Gun Section, 541, at a date as-yet undetermined.

Full Name

Curtis, R

Index Number of Admission

Rank Name

Driver

Service Number

Months With Field Force

1 year

Years Service

1 year 4 months

Ailment

Dental caries

Date Discharged Back to Duty

21/02/16

Date of Transfer from Sick Convoy

30/01/16

Religion

Church of England

Regiment

Machine Gun Corps

Battalion

Motor Machine Gun Section

Other unit info

4th Battery

Archive Reference

MH106/1435

Copyright © 2024 Fold3® by Ancestry

The first link below is to 4 Battery's War Diary for the latter period of your man's service, it can be down loaded for free by creating an account.

The second link may give you a lead to further info.

Dave

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/e7531f67039e4829ad8a2d70120e145e

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/d6f09aaa-7e5b-4e42-bc5b-a214d828bd63

On 02/09/2014 at 19:55, frispy819 said:

Hi - My Great Uncle served with this unit in France between 5/7/1916 and 4/6/1917.

During this time he was wounded and suffered illness, spending several periods in various medical establishments - listed in his service record as "57 FA", 70 FA, "FA BRS", 3 CCS, 4 Lan FA, 3 Can CCS and 32 Staty (?) Hospital Boulogne.

I'd like to track his movements while on active service however I cannot find any information on his unit and while the medical units give some clues they tend to be vague and contradictory.

Can anyone help. His name was James Moffat, his regimental number was 1463 and he enlisted 14/5/1915.

He was commissioned in MGC 30/4/1918 so his service record will be in existence.   He was a casualty replacement to 4th MMG battery who had been in France since March 1915. He would have been (on paper) transferred to MGC(Motors) probably in December 1916  with the same service number. The battery remained on the Western Front the entire war. It was rolled into 1st MMG Brigade in June 1918, but by the Brigade War Diary he is not listed amongst the officers of the any of the composite batteries. He appears on the 1918 Army list as 2nd Lieutenant MGC (Infantry).

Edited by david murdoch

• Admin

@frispy819 hasn’t visited the forum since 2016. My tag may alert them to your post. 

It is worth mentioning that since 2023, the MGC database as compiled by Graham Sacker has been put into the public domain.

The entry for Moffatt is here
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/d6f09aaa-7e5b-4e42-bc5b-a214d828bd63

Other persons associated with MMGS 4 Bty can be found via the following search string
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=skr+4+bty

Every day is a school day.