Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recent Finds on the Western Front

MelPack

The remains of a German soldier were found at Cumieres-le-Mort-Homme in late June.

The soldier was easily identified as Ernst Hilgendorf because of the near pristine condition of his ID tag.

Press story here:

http://www.verdun-meuse.fr/images/pages/DesrestesdunsoldatallemandretrouvesER28062014.pdf

Artefacts found with the remains:

post-859-0-57484200-1409568263_thumb.jpg

and the ID Disc:

post-859-0-51462900-1409568328_thumb.jpg

If only the British state had issued similar discs of quality and durability to its own soldiers!

A similar discovery was made in March at Haumont-près-Samogneux en Meuse of 19 year old Hans Winckelman of the 5th Company, 111th RIR killed in August 1917.

The press story here:

http://www.verdun-meuse.fr/images/pages/laplaquesalivresessecretsER23032014.pdf

and ID Disc here:

post-859-0-76856500-1409570669_thumb.jpg

Not Parli Vouing Francais does the article say just what were the circumstances of the finding of this man and are there any details of the planned interment?. I would use Google translation but it sometimes gives unpredictable results..

Norman

The remains were found by a forestry worker whilst he was clearing some woods. He found a "pointed helmet" and other artefacts including the identity disc. He took the disc with him when he went to notify the relevant authorities. Good move as the helmet had gone when they returned. Nothing mentioned about re internment.

Nigel

Norman

Egbert kindly checked the German media for any news of the reburials of the two soldiers but nothing hitherto.

Thanks to the efforts of a local Frenchman, an former gendarme, permission has been given for Hans Winckelman to be buried in the German cemetery of Romagne sous Montfaucon, where his brother is also buried.

Christina

Thanks to the efforts of a local Frenchman, an former gendarme, permission has been given for Hans Winckelman to be buried in the German cemetery of Romagne sous Montfaucon, where his brother is also buried.

Christina

Christina.

Would that be the cemetery just off the road between Cunel and Nantillois? I think I've visited it; I vaguely remember the contrast between it and the American Meuse-Argonne cemetry. It would be worth a visit again now I think. Thanks for the update.

Pete.

Christina

Beautiful backstory. Thanks for this.

The German cemetery is just outside Romagne on the west side of the road from Romagne to Bantheville. It was very overgrown but it's recently been cleared and looks better.

I think permission has actually been given for Hans W to be buried in the same grave as his brother and I'm not sure whether it's happened yet.

The chap who finally managed to get permission had quite a struggle with bureaucracy in order to get it. The original plan was to bury him in a German cemetery out of the department, over towards the Moselle, and the authorities didn't quite seem to see the logic of laying him to rest with his brother.

Christina

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this the town with the splendid local museum of artifacts recovered within a 5K radius? Where Patton was injured and where he based his first command in WWII (good enough to end the first in...)?

Is the 'chap' the fellow who runs the museum?

Romagne is the place with the splendid museum of WWI artefacts, run by a Dutchman named Jean Paul de Vries. The man I'm talking about is an ex-gendarme from the Verdun area.

Christina

A similar discovery was made in March at Haumont-près-Samogneux en Meuse of 19 year old Hans Winckelman of the 5th Company, 111th RIR killed in August 1917.

The press story here:

http://www.verdun-meuse.fr/images/pages/laplaquesalivresessecretsER23032014.pdf

and ID Disc here:

attachicon.gifid disc.jpg

Hello,

I checked the regimental history: Hans' death date is given there as 21 August 1917 (his unit was 5/RIR 111 and not the 3rd Company as mentioned in the article). Strange that Laparra didn't check the regimental history. According to the regimental history, Hans Winckelmann was from Britzenberg (which is somewhere in Staufen or Münstertal in Baden).

The Kriegsstammrollen of Hans Winckelmann are normally still available in the archives of Karlsruhe.

Jan