Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool Pals Battalions memorial dedication

daggers

Two large, striking plaques were unveiled by HRH the Earl of Essex yesterday in Lime Street Station to mark the first recruiting of Pals in Liverpool exactly 100 years earlier. The formal event in the station was followed by a reception in St George's Hall, opposite, and re-enactments of recruiting, attestation and other activities on the Plateau beside the Hall.

Has anyone got better photos than mine?

D

I have no idea if Ayesha and I have better photos, but I went and attested. I lied about my age!

The lack of publicity meant that there weren't as many people there as I might have thought, but the plaques are quite splendid, if in a poor location. you have to know they are there to spot them. the program for th day includes the artists plantation of the two panEls, which makes interesting reading too.

bruce

There were a lot of photos on the 'Echo' website on Sunday which now seem to have disappeared.

Gill

I saw the plaques on Tuesday morning on my way up to Edinburgh. I had to do a couple of circuits of the station and then ask rather sheepishly at the information desk. For some reason I expected something at eye level. Worth the sheepish enquiry and mild embarassment as they were pointed out as they are excellent. Thanks for the top tips.

Pete,