Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women and the Great War

robbie

Hi all,

I guess you couldn't miss the posts over the last few days concerning women and the GW. THere seems to be a fair bit of support in the fourm for a separate thread. Is this possible? ;)

Robbie

At the risk of being shot down in flames here... how much is there on women in the Great War?

By the way it is an innocent question, Robbie you must have thought there was ...

I am open to suggestions..

John

At the risk of being shot down in flames here... how much is there on women in the Great War?

By the way it is an innocent question, Robbie you must have thought there was ...

oooooooo..get out the tin hat, mate :lol:

What about Countess Beckendorff on another thread tonight?

Robbie

Edith Cavell on another thread; the brave nurses we heard about on yet another; munitions workers.

More broadly, the wives and mothers left to cope. There's a new bibliography on the Forum abot women and war - there is a lot there.

marina

Do you mean women in the great war or women and the great war?

There is a lot of material relating to women at the time of the war and in particular on the home front. Women number amongst the poets of the time and in fiction of the time and made a significant contribution.

As for Women in the war, most accounts will relate to VAD service and/or nursing service/ambulance drivers etc. There are oddments like the volume on Women of Pervyse and another on a woman living on the Marne (or was it the Aisne?.

There are those in receipt of letters which paint a portrait of life at the time both from the writer's viewpoint at the front and the recipients viewpoints at home. Fielding's War letters to a wife; Uncensored letters from the Dardanelles etc. etc. There are accounts such as Mrs Peels "How we lived"; writings of those involved in providing entertainments for the troops (one, Mary Pickford, died in France). There are accounts and part accounts written by women in munitions; there are social history tomes on women and the war.

Women played key roles in areas of Luxembourg, Belgium and Holland in providing clandestine observation and passing of messages.

I am sure we have all heard of Edith Cavell.

Vera Brittain's writings are of great social import.

What about the Russian "Women's Battalion of Death"?

In short there is material there if you are prepared to look and explore but it is not the sort of thing that tends to appear at the top of the pile and there is still plenty of scope for research.

A few particular books spring to mind in case anyone is interested (I am sure there are more) -

Women and the First World War

ISBN 0582418763

Grayzel, Susan R.

£12.99

The Virago Book of Women and the Great War

ISBN 1860495591

Marlow, Joyce

£9.99

Behind the Lines - Gender and the Two World Wars

ISBN 0300044291

Higonnet, Margaret Randolph

£12.95

Cheers

Ryan

It is interesting that a genuine request for a new thread (subject area) has been overlooked by our webmaster. Is he on holiday ? B) ? (sunglasses)

Room for a thread? Just a thread?

Years of sacrifice, heartache, death, devotion, force-feeding and chaining ourselves to railings eventually brought us women the vote - and all Robbie feels able to grant us is one thread :(

Bye folks! I'm off to chuck a brick through Robbie's window :angry:

Hold the brick for now Kate. Just a slip on the word. I think the proposition is for a new subject area. I have not noticed Chris around since Sunday but in the meantime, why not go for a poll? I think there would be plenty of support.

OK Clive - but should we restrict female participation to those over 30?

(Bet there'll be...no, I won't say it :rolleyes: )

Myrtle - Yes thankyou, and Barrie is delighted and sends his thanks too. Did you not get my message?

Ryan

Thanks for the posting of the bibliography re women/ww1, I shall be seeking these now to further my knowledge and am glad my introduction of this discussion has already produced so much intersting info!!

Lindsey

• 14 years later...

Just found this thread and it made me realize how far we've come in the last FIFTEEN YEARS in ackowledging the immense amount of work done by women during the war and pushing those women into the limelight.

thank you ALL!!!!

M.