Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Memorial?

Guest Peter Wildman

Guest Peter Wildman

Having read Sebastian Faulk's 'Birdsong', I am keen to visit the WW1 memorial close to Albert in France. Has anyone been there? I would very much like to read your impressions and get advice on planning a trip.

The book graphically illustrates the terrible conditions for soldiers and the unimaginable loss of life, which has mostly now faded from national memory. It was all an education for me. Does anyone have an opinion on how realistic the book is?

Peter.

Indeed Thiepval is the main monument for the missing in the Somme area. Impressive if you see it from a distance, but personally I prefer the Menin Gate.

If you go to the Somme, beg, steal or borrow the Martin Middlebrook book "The Somme Battlefields", or as an alternative the Holt's Guide. You will be busy, there is a lot to see in a limited area.

Erwin

Peter,

i studied Birdsong for my A-Levels, it is a very graphic novel indeed.

I will dig my copy out and have a look which memorial is visited.

Anthony

Guest Peter Wildman

Thanks for your help guys. I'll plan a trip when the days get longer and warmer. Meantime, I need to research the history of the war in the area, discover the cemetaries, museums and memorials, and find reading of wartime experiences. A lot to learn?

I think this picture is the memorial in 'Birdsong'.

Peter

post-19-1098897126.jpg

Peter,

The memorial in Birdsong is definitely Thiepval - it was visited by Stephen's granddaughter Elizabeth on her way to Brussels. (That's it pictured in your last post.)

My personal opinion about the book is it gives an excellent impression of the Somme fighting from a soldier's perspective. The confusion of battle is really well conveyed - I rember reading whole chapters where Stephen is only aware of what is going on in his immediate surroundings and has no idea of the big picture of the battle.

Erwin is spot on when he recommends Martin Middlebrook's "The Somme Battlefields". It's the best guidebook by far. Mr & Mrs Holt's guide is also worth a look, but I think it is too focussed on memorials.

You'll have a memorable time in the Somme. Report back after your visit and let us know how you got on.

Cheers,

Mat