Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British pistol/revolver retailers

Khaki

Has anyone done a list of the major retailers of small arms for officers during the GW ? I am interested in their advertising and would like to get an example that I could frame or display , repro including metal would be ok.

khaki

You could try googling Webley, BSA etc if you have not already done so.

I think if you look through some of Skennerton's works you will find various lists of members of the gun trade who got contracts for repairs/modifications etc and from whom large numbers of firearms were requisitioned/purchased. I suspect there is a pretty high overlap between these and those who supplied firearms directly to officers.

The book I can think of right now (I am away from them) is his book on WWII small arms (which lists contracts etc) and obviously this list may include companies not in existence in WWI and exclude companies that disappeared or changed names between the wars but it might be somewhere to start.

I am fairly sure similar lists of the gun trade purchases exist in the National Archive for WWI and TonyE might be your best source for a reference to those.

Chris

Glasgow University has the archives of the Army and Navy Cooperative Society. They were the principal source for the private purchase of sidearms.

Has anyone done a list of the major retailers of small arms for officers during the GW ? I am interested in their advertising and would like to get an example that I could frame or display , repro including metal would be ok.

khaki

khaki,

Take a look at this link, it has a nice selection of firearm maker labels for sale, including those who produced firearms during WW1.

Regards,
LF

Glasgow University has the archives of the Army and Navy Cooperative Society. They were the principal source for the private purchase of sidearms.

I saw that but not available on line and a long commute to Glasgow for the OP!

Number of Colt New Service revolvers were used by British forces starting in the Boer War and continuing into WW I

New Service was designed for military use and came into service in 1898

British designation was "PISTOL COLT .455 inch, 5.5 inch barrel , MK I"

Some 60,000 were supplied to British EMpire forces (UK and Canada, which had bought many of them to

supplement earlier Colt 45 "Peacemakeers ) Barrels wer marked .NEW SERVICE 455 ELEY to indicate

caliber

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_New_Service

The Peter Dyson website is quite interesting.

Just one question, what does "NLR" stand for?

Good question,

Because this labels have a ' Firearm ' connection, the retailer is confirming that in order to purchase them, no licence is required ( NLR ), apparently it is a Government formality.

Regards,

LF

Thanks everyone, wow ! what a huge label list, question though, in newspaper advertising did they 'illustrate' the pistols and if so did they stay with a webley profile or was it definitive to the actual revolvers in stock at the time?

khaki

Good question,

Because this labels have a ' Firearm ' connection, the retailer is confirming that in order to purchase them, no licence is required ( NLR ), apparently it is a Government formality.

Regards,

LF

Why would you require a licence to buy a label ?

Maybe it means that the label design is no longer registered as a trade mark ?

Why would you require a licence to buy a label ?

Maybe it means that the label design is no longer registered as a trade mark ?

I actually called Dysons to confirm that it was meaning ' No Licence Required ', and they confirmed that was the meaning, must be to do with red tape firearms laws.

Regards,

LF

There is nothing in British Firearms Acts which requires any sort of licence to buy a label. Maybe some sort of copyright permission ? Anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Number of Colt New Service revolvers were used by British forces starting in the Boer War and continuing into WW I

New Service was designed for military use and came into service in 1898

British designation was "PISTOL COLT .455 inch, 5.5 inch barrel , MK I"

Some 60,000 were supplied to British EMpire forces (UK and Canada, which had bought many of them to

supplement earlier Colt 45 "Peacemakeers ) Barrels wer marked .NEW SERVICE 455 ELEY to indicate

caliber

dman,

The 60,000 Colt New Service Revolvers chambered in .455 calibre you refer to, were a contract Colt had with the British Government at the start of WW1 to supply 60,000 .455 service revolvers to supplement projected shortfalls in stocks of the Webley .455 service revolver.

in addition, the British Government also purchased 5000 Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector Mark I revolvers in .455 calibre, along with some 69,755 Mark II .455 models.

Attached are some photographs of a Colt New Service .455 revolver from my firearms collection, this particular revolver was manufactured in 1916, as part of that 60,000 revolver contract. Another photograph, shows that barrel marking you refer to.

Also attached is a photograph showing 2 other .455 revolvers from my Collection, the Webley .455 Mk..VI, and the Smith & Wesson .455 Hand Ejector Mark II, for comparison.

All the revolvers are in mint original live-firing condition, and each still shoots superbly.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-27627600-1409423068_thumb.j

post-63666-0-48045200-1409423097_thumb.j

post-63666-0-85055600-1409423132_thumb.j

post-63666-0-10043000-1409423236_thumb.j

For comparison, my Webley .455 Mk.VI service revolver, Colt New Service .455 revolver, and Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector Mark II .455 revolver.

LF

post-63666-0-44999500-1409424082_thumb.j

Thanks everyone, wow ! what a huge label list, question though, in newspaper advertising did they 'illustrate' the pistols and if so did they stay with a webley profile or was it definitive to the actual revolvers in stock at the time?

khaki

khaki,

Here is an advertisement for the Colt New Service revolver in .455 calibre, ' As supplied to her Majesty's Government ' ( Queen Victoria ) - price 5 pounds, giving nice details of the revolver and good illustrations.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-18177600-1409429582_thumb.j

Thanks LF,

I wonder what influenced the purchase decision for the new officer, recommendations from sales people who were completing a larger purchase order eg., uniforms, equipment, regimental requirements, friends or family, affordability or maybe for an inexperienced lieutenant what ever fitted the holster. Perhaps there is no real answer.

khaki

Thanks LF,

I wonder what influenced the purchase decision for the new officer, recommendations from sales people who were completing a larger purchase order eg., uniforms, equipment, regimental requirements, friends or family, affordability or maybe for an inexperienced lieutenant what ever fitted the holster. Perhaps there is no real answer.

khaki

khaki,

As you know, many officers purchased their revolvers privately, and the Webley Mk.VI shown in post # 15 belonged to 2nd Lieutenant S.V.D. Douglas-Jones of the Coldsteam Guards, he purchased this revolver privately and had it fitted with custom walnut grips, I also have his sword, cartridge pouch and holster.

Although the Webley, Colt and Smith & Wesson may look similar, there is an enormous difference in the feel of each revolver both when holding it and firing it, for example the hand grip on the Colt New Service is much bigger than the hand grip on the Smith & Wesson, and most officers would have formed a preference once having held the revolver.

So I think personal preference for the ' feel ' of the revolver would have been the prime factor in their choice, and secondly availability.

Regards,

LF

The personal side-arms of 2nd Lieutenant S.V.D. Douglas-Jones of the Coldsteam Guards, including his Webley .455 Mk.VI revolver which he had fitted with custom walnut grips.

LF

post-63666-0-39559500-1409435078_thumb.j

Hello LF,

You are absolutely correct about the new service, a great firearm whether in .455 or as the M1917, but I doubt that the average freshly minted Lieutenant would have enough revolver experience to make an educated choice, apart from as you say 'the feel'.

Your Douglas-Jones collection is outstanding and to use the vernacular of the day it's 'top hole'

congratulations

khaki

Hello LF,

You are absolutely correct about the new service, a great firearm whether in .455 or as the M1917, but I doubt that the average freshly minted Lieutenant would have enough revolver experience to make an educated choice, apart from as you say 'the feel'.

Your Douglas-Jones collection is outstanding and to use the vernacular of the day it's 'top hole'

congratulations

khaki

khaki,

Many thanks, I am pleased you found the set of interest.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF

As indicated number of British officers bought their own Colt New Service revolvers . Criteria was that had to use the 455 round to simply ammunition supply

Question were any of the New Service guns issued to OR (ordinary ranks aka enlisted men)

Some units like the Special Brigades (chemical troops) were issued with revolvers as a personal weapon do to their duties handling heavy equipment (gas cylinders and such)

Question were any of the New Service guns issued to OR (ordinary ranks aka enlisted men)

dman,

There is photographic evidence of both the Colt Revolver and the Smith & Wesson Revolver being issued to O.R.s., and attached are 2 photographs, one showing a Signals Dispatch Rider armed with a Colt revolver, and also another of a RFC Airman armed with a Smith & Wesson revolver.

The Colt is identified by the ' Colt ' logo on the hand grip, and the Smith & Wesson by the hand grip and the front sight.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-22297600-1409489674_thumb.j

post-63666-0-27187900-1409489766_thumb.j

So I think personal preference for the ' feel ' of the revolver would have been the prime factor in their choice, and secondly availability.

Regards,

LF

A lot of literature I've read asserts that pistols and revolvers were in critically short supply for most of the duration - so I rather think that availability might've been the prime factor ! :D

Regards,

MikB