Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery heads ?

Guest Trench Boezinge

Guest Trench Boezinge

Here are some bombheads I found in the area of Boezinge, I don't know if these are British, Belgian, German, French, or ...

I hope you can help me identify those, I would be very gratefull.

(sorry, if my English is a little ...)

Is there a topic excisting about how to clean those ?

post-23-1098785029.jpg

NR 1 IS DANGEROUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a VB grenade!!! very hard to disarm, very dangerous. You didn't get it from DOVO, so it must be live!!!

Guest Trench Boezinge

Thanks Peter B. for the advise these 2 heads I found at the German side a 100 yards from the road from Boezinge to Langemarke. So it could have been fired from English side.

From the bottom to the top there is a hole of 5mm, it's start in the middle at the bottom and ends between the 2 plumb ends at the top.

Thanks for the advise bKristof. It is still dangerous ?

In that case I'll get rid of it immediately.

This one I found in Boezinge on a field next to a little road that goes from Boezinge to Zuidschote.

In the Ravenstraat you mean trench... ;)

zonnebeke

Guest private, 2nd worch. btn.

nr's 3a,b,c zijn brits nr 80 fuzes. Are totally NOT dangerous. If you are very patient and you have a lot of time, you can clean it so that you will be able to separate all the rings, and give it a very smart look.

As kristof says, get rid of nr 1 cause it's indeed a VB grenade. Not very dangerous unless you decide to give it a good hit with a hammer. Just throw it in a ditch or a pond or somethin'. While you get rid of the grenade, take fuzes nr 4 and 7, as they contain still some explosive.

As for nr2 I'm not sure but is seems like a Belgian or French trench mortar fuze. I should see it and then I could tell you.

Nr's 5 and 6 are definately german, and to say more as they are completely made in copper, they are undoubtley dated before 1916. Once past that date, the Germans spent most of their precious brass and copper, and since then they've started to make fuzes from all sorts of material.... except in material that was sturdy and reliable... (and that makes it so dangerous for us now)

If you have more fuzes or material you want to have identified, give me a ring. I live in Geluveld (nie zover van jou thuis dus). If you want my telephone/mobile number, PM me.

regards

ramses