Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mons - Was this bayonet there?

msdt

Thanks Wulfric! I have never dared to take the grips off any of my UK bayonets, and would be interested in how easy / difficult you found this. Interesting to see how many and varied those stamps are! Anw I would be especially interested in seen the stamp on the inside of the grips! :thumbsup:

Trajan

PS: For that matter, nor have I tried to take the grips off from any of my other screw-bolt type bayonets except for (hush, hush, whisper it softly! For this is GWF!) my wehrmacht ones... And these have lots of inspections marks on the tangs...)

I was oiling and giving the bayonet a clean to gently remove some rust speckles, there was rust around the bolts between themselves and the wood and I thought there was no chance they would move as they were probably seized... however after having a try for curiosity with a correct sizes screwdriver they removed easily! and it was immaculate underneath.

I was oiling and giving the bayonet a clean to gently remove some rust speckles, there was rust around the bolts between themselves and the wood and I thought there was no chance they would move as they were probably seized... however after having a try for curiosity with a correct sizes screwdriver they removed easily! and it was immaculate underneath.

There is a tool available for removing those grip screws.

Regards,

LF

There is a tool available for removing those grip screws.

Regards,

LF

Indeed there is a slotted screwdriver I've seen, but not sourced one as of yet, however a standard screw driver of the correct size did the job easily.

Indeed there is a slotted screwdriver I've seen, but not sourced one as of yet, however a standard screw driver of the correct size did the job easily.

They are usually found on Ebay for 20 pounds or less.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-20135800-1409600185_thumb.j

Gentlemen... the slotted screwdriver mentioned by 'Lancashire Fusilier' can be manufactured quite easily. Find oneself an old screwdriver with a shank of the correct diameter, then using a dremel tool and the correct abrasive and cutting discs, one can fashion ones own. Quite a lot more comfortable in the hand to... than using the 'T'-bar tool.

Seph.

They are usually found on Ebay for 20 pounds or less.

Regards,

LF

Gentlemen... the slotted screwdriver mentioned by 'Lancashire Fusilier' can be manufactured quite easily. Find oneself an old screwdriver with a shank of the correct diameter, then using a dremel tool and the correct abrasive and cutting discs, one can fashion ones own. Quite a lot more comfortable in the hand to... than using the 'T'-bar tool.

Seph.

Thanks both for the information! Having seen the wide variety of extra markings on the tangs of German bayonets it will be nice to see what might be lurking beneath the grips of my UK ones! A new field of study - along with all those pesky single-letter marks often found on the top and bottom of the tangs of P.1888's and P.1903's!

Trajan