Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oldham Chronicle article wanted

Chris_Baker

If any member has access to the Oldham Evening Chronicle, would they please look up the edition of 4 May 1918 for me? Please let me know if this is possible by replying here, and I'll give you the details of the item I am after.

That would be just great, Ralph. I really appreciate the offer. There is something on page 10, column 2 of the 4 May 1918 edition which mentions Pte 41124 James Bodell of 139 Burnley Lane, Chadderton. I suspect that it says he has been wounded, as he was discharged on medical grounds at a later date.

If it is not too much trouble, it is possible that he is also mentioned on page 2, column 5 of 30 October 1914.

Chris. No trouble at all, a pleasure, will have a tram ride out sometime tomorrow and get back to you as soon as. Ralph.

Chris. Report as follows :- Pte James Bodell Chadderton. Mrs Bodell of 139 Burnley Road Chadderton has received a letter from her husband Pte James Bodell Northumberland Fusiliers stating that he has been wounded. ( left arm off at the elbow) He is 34 years of age and during more than 3 years of active service has served in Egypt and at the front on which he has now been wounded for the 2nd time. Before enlisting he was a minder at the Shiloh Mill Royton.

The entry for the 30th Oct 1914 contains his name along with many others as enlisting in the forces, in his case noted M R (Manchester Regt) Hope this helps. Ralph.