Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am hoping that fellow forum members may be able to help with this request...

I am trying to collate a selection of unusual/striking WW1 sites on the home front. For example, the Chattri at Brighton; early warning air raid structures dotted around the coast; the German war cemetery at Cannock; the zeppelin bomb crater up on the West Pennine Moor at Ramsbottom, Lancs; etc.

Can anyone recommend any visually stimulating sites I might investigate any where in the British Isles, but particularly in England?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I explained myself too well on this; in fact, judging by the lack of response, it would definitely appear not! Apologies.

I watched a documentary on the former hospital at Netley the other night and noticed that part of it is still standing. It is just the kind of visually striking/imposing building I was thinking of. See this link for a photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netley_Hospital

However, I am also interested in less imposing or obvious structures, such as bomb craters or training trenches, etc.

Why am I interested? I live in the shadow of Peel Tower in Ramsbottom, Lancs, and regularly walk my dog around the far from inconsiderable crater left by a Zeppelin attack on the North West. It has always intrigued me. On a recent holiday to Sussex I hiked over the fields to the Chattri at Brighton and found my imagination just as stirred. Embedded in the landscape, I must confess that I find these often under-visited sites on home soil extremely moving - and in a completely different way to those encountered overseas.

Intrigued after the visit to the Chattri, I went to the web in search of more sites but found the catalogue on the English Heritage site wholly inadequate. Hence the appeal.

I am keen to go and see more of these sites, photograph them, and possibly (time and ability allowing) even create some kind of on-line presence for them. Most of all though, I want to scratch one of those personal research itches that most of you will be familiar with...

Martin,

You might want to have a dig through the website "Traces of War"

http://en.tracesofwar.com/country.asp?countryid=81 will take you to the UK part. I usually tick, Award, Fortifcation, Point of Interest and Stumbling stone as I can find Cemetries, Museums and Monuments elsewhere.

It takes a bit of searching and is by no means complete, but worth a look

Glen

Martin, if you are referring to the crater at the side of Peel Tower, this was as a result of quarrying at the time the tower was built, not from the zeppelin raid on 25th September 1916.

post-64236-0-79743800-1411223963_thumb.j

I,ve never realised that the hole next to the tower was in the shape of the heart. I was,t aware of any craters from the zepplin attack, though the house in holcombe does show evidence of shrapnel damage. Further from Rammy there are some shallow trenches at the nick of pendle.