Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help with identifying this shell

stevew

Showing the head stamp on the base of the brass cartridge case would be more of a help to identification, also some measurements.

Steve,

Looks very like a round from a French 37mm Trench Gun. Some of the ammunition was made in America but, assuming I am correct, it will have 37-85 stamped on the base as well as other markings, usually including the month and year of manufacture.

If you do a search for "French 37mm Trench Gun" you will find quite a lot of information.

If that doesn't help then, as Centurian says, post a photo of the base of the cartridge.

Regards,

Michael.

Steve,

Looks very like a round from a French 37mm Trench Gun. Some of the ammunition was made in America

And the US Army actually used the weapon (which doubled up as an anti tank gun). However the Germans also had weapons of a similar calibre that fired a very similar looking shell so do look at the head stamp.

It could also be a British One Pounder Pom Pom round. It would be good to see a photograph of the head stamp, as these were used by both sides.

Thanks Chums,

I did mean to post the numbers from the base last night but it slipped my mind. It does, I believe have 37-85 on the base as well as 135-216 (I think), I need to check when I get home

Steve