Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cartridge case 3 pr Naval ?

beestonboxer

post-92260-0-98000200-1408953037_thumb.jpost-92260-0-39500000-1408965697_thumb.jHave here a cartridge case with many markings,i believe it to be of ww1 type but not 100% sure states it is a 3 PR has CF cordite filled with a cross through it and many more markings no clear date visible any help much appreciated.

If it measures 376mm in length and 47mm at the neck it is a 3 Pounder Hotchkiss naval cartridge case.

If it measures 376mm in length and 47mm at the neck it is a 3 Pounder Hotchkiss naval cartridge case.

Yes these are the exact measurements of the Cartridge, many thanks for this information. Is there any indication from what can be seen to a date? and any ideas what the markings in the boxed and diamond shapes are?

If I'm reading the markings right, it's a MkIII* 3 Pounder passed by Naval inspector number 8 on 16/10/1915. I think the 'B' is the maker mark for Birmingham Metals & Munitions. 'CF' means loaded with a full charge of Cordite. I'm unsure about the rest of it - lots of inspection and / or test marks which appear to have been mostly barred out for some reason? The British Ordnance Collectors Network is the place to ask for the finer details.

If I'm reading the markings right, it's a MkIII* 3 Pounder passed by Naval inspector number 8 on 16/10/1915. I think the 'B' is the maker mark for Birmingham Metals & Munitions. 'CF' means loaded with a full charge of Cordite. I'm unsure about the rest of it - lots of inspection and / or test marks which appear to have been mostly barred out for some reason? The British Ordnance Collectors Network is the place to ask for the finer details.

Thank you I will certainly check out the Ordanance collectors Network