Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos of large Bayonet collection.

5thBatt

Last month a well known New Zealand Bayonet collector pasted away. RIP Ian.

I live locally & had the fortune to visit him on a couple of occasions, the three photos i have (wish i had taken more!) only show a small part of his collection.

Ian1.jpg

Ian2.jpg

Ian3.jpg

Um, wow!

That's a lot of bayonets. Sad story though.

Outstanding collection.! Quite a variety shown there as well. At least he got to keep his "things" around him right up to the end, that's the best we can hope for. :closedeyes:

Cheers, S>S

Wow..... Fantastic collection

Thanks for posting

A truly remarkable collection - with frogs and troddels to boot! Some very nice ones there with several duplicates.... Certainly, a very serious collector... Well, all good things must pass - but I will raise a beer in the chap's memory!

Trajan

PS: I especially like those brown Carter 127's (or 128's?) in the first photo - I have a couple of 127's in excellent almost unissued condition (one used to display a P.1888 (the type was officially listed as 'suitable for the P 1888 bayonets'), the other currently has a P1907), but used or unused 'period' originals don't seem to be that common .

• 1 month later...

Wow, what a collection. I like the racks he used to store/display his bayonets. He even installed taggon tubing (a clear vinyl tubing) on the wood dowels to prevent any damage and to hold them in place. If he was married his wife must be an angel. There is no way my wife would let me have a collection as large as his. I too will honor him with a raised glass. Thanks to Ian, I also now have a nice winter wood working project to pursue. I have always wanted to display my collection. By chance, would this gentlemen who recently passed on be the same gentlemen who authored many firearm books on Lugers and Webleys?

Hi Old Tom - troddels are the coloured knots shown hanging at top right in the second photo - these were used by the Germans and were different colours for different companies.

Cheers, Jonathan

Awww, go on J! Give him the works about the shanks and the crowns, and so on! That'll keep Old Tom 'troddeling' along for a few hours!