Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warks Regt

brummie76

Hi All

I have been very chuffed to find out his evening that i had a Great Grand Uncle who fought but unfortunately lost his life during ww1.

His name was Alfred James Jeavons who served with the 1st Battn Royal Warks and apparently died in Flanders (KIA) on the 30th August 1918.

His service number was 24804.

Would anyone be able to assist me to find out any more information about my relative please? Info perhaps on where he was when he died or service records (if they survive) etc?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

Information from TheGenealogist website:

Forename A

Surname Jeavons

Casualty Status Wounded

Service Number 24804

Regiment Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Location Dudley

Daily List Date 11th January 1918

List Number No 5463

Part Number Part 6

Category Wos, Ncos and Men

Casualty Status Wounded

Source WO Casualty Lists

Given the date of reporting you might want to look at the Battalion War Diaries for Dec 1917.

Alfred died with 29 of his Battalion comrades on the 30th August 1918 and they are buried in the Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery between Arras and Cambrai. On this date the 1 RWR were fighting in the Battle of the Scarpe as part of 10 Infantry Brigade of 4 Division.

From BFBSMs note above he may also have been wounded earlier,as the dates don't tie up with his death.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

The medal roll shows he started off with the 2nd Royal Warwicks, then the 2/7th before ending up with the 1st.

Glen

Can you send me a link or copy of this document please?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Can anyone add to this please as i cannot locate the medal roll which suggests his previous battalions as mentioned in SPOF's post above.

In addition if anyone can help i am still trying to find out any further info on this man or his regiment. I currently dont have any of his service record.

Any further help gratefully received!!!

Thanks in advance!

Paul

• 1 month later...

Alfred died with 29 of his Battalion comrades on the 30th August 1918 and they are buried in the Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery between Arras and Cambrai. On this date the 1 RWR were fighting in the Battle of the Scarpe as part of 10 Infantry Brigade of 4 Division.

From BFBSMs note above he may also have been wounded earlier,as the dates don't tie up with his death.

May i ask where you got this info from regarding the 29 please?

Thanks

http://www.cwgc.org

Click on find a cemetery. Enter Vis-en Artois British Cemetery and when it appears click on it's name in red,the lower one,next page click on list of casualty records,click on the top arrow on the top of the column "date of death" and they will be put in date order,scroll to the 30 Aug 1918 and the 29 will be listed in a group. From page 32 forward.

I tried to put the direct link in but it just does a skeleton page for CWGC.