Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sam Browne

eviltaxman

As you can tell from the title, I'm interested in finding out if there are any differences in the Sam Browne between WW1 & WW2. The reason being, my Grandfather was given one by George VI in about 1943 and one has come up on Ebay - with the same name on it.

Can anyone enlighten me as whether this one is WW1 or WW2?

Sam Browne

Cheers,

Les.

From wha I have seen and know, he SB was issued in two basic forms in WW1. he firs one being he same as the type seen here with the extra loops to turn it into officers webbing, he second type without the extra d rings seen to the right of the illistration on the belt.

The other difference noted is the WW1 stuff is of thicker leather.

I have a couple lying around the house, so I shall see if I can drum up some shots.

You see a number of variants. 1912 ?Dress Regulations show a photograph of the double braced variant. This belt has 4 D rings and two shoulder braces, sword frog ,pistol caseand ammunition pouch. Some of these were still around in 2WW. The other variant has 2 d rings for a single brace.

You also see regimental variations with for example a single braceand a whistle mounted on the brace( Indian Army cavalry 2WW I think)

Greg

Don't forget that much of the officer's uniform and equipment was private purchase/manufacture. There's bound to be countless variations, most to within certain specifications, due to the many different manufacturers and time when it was produced.

For this reason, I don't believe that it is possible to immediately say (in the absence of a date stamp) whether one originates in the first world war or the second.

Dave.

Thanks all.

I had a feeling there was a couple of types. But I've had a reply back and the middle initial is wrong.... so it isn't my Grandfathers :(

Cheers,

Les.