Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private T. Hemmings

Biggu

I have found in my collection a War Medal given to me that was purchased at a "garage sale" the engraving is as follows : 292249 PTE. T. Hemmings C.A.S.C. I have tried to search this fellow out and so far have come up blank, I used his regimental Number and name but to no avail, any ideas? Anyone? I know that armed with this amount of information it should be a fairly easy find, not so.........

What medal is it?

Not sure I have heard of CASC unless it is a Canadian Regiment.?

A military Canadian WW1 site or Canadian Army Records Office?

I was hopeful that something might show up in the UK as our LAC is a turmoil at the moment.... it is being digitized and most records are not available, and what is seems to be a night mare to locate.....I was hoping for a medal card or some record of service for the UK.....I have no idea why the medal was in a garage sale and it was given to me years ago along with a 1914/15 star for a one 58003 Sapper J.B. Beckwith R.E. Once again I have no idea why someone would want to toss these aside, but they are in good caring hands now... must do more searching for these two fellows.....

Ok, I have done more sniffing and found that C.A.S.C. is in fact the Canadian Army Service Corps, and they were......... In France, responsible for transport and supply of food,forage , ammunition, equipment,clothing, engineering material, and stores. Corps personnel also repaired motor vehicles, and each division had an ambulance repair workshop. In England they were responsible for feeding the troops. Now the difficult part starts with trying to figure out what unit of the C.A.S.C. 292249 Pte. T. Hemmings was assigned to... can anyone point me in a direction??

Hi,

Don't know what you mean about LAC being in turmoil as I turned up his attestation papers this evening....can't post on my iPhone.

He lived in Killarney, Manitoba and enlisted there 27th December 1915. A Baker born 14th March 1885 at Long Benton, Warwickshire. His NOK was his sister Mrs Kate Wennett, Wimnipeg.

Doesn't look like his record has been digitised yet.

Regards

Steve Y

EDIT - THIS LINK DOES WORK!

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/list.aspx?k=Surname%3a%22Hemmings%22

Hey Steve, maybe it is just me and the Mrs. , but we have had a devil of a time trying to access any information from LAC, even the folks there were struggling helping us, but this is great stuff, many thanks, maybe I can move forward with this investigation..... I appreciate this very much...

Jeff

You're welcome Jeff.

Steve