Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Wilkinson hookie

trajan

This appears to be the source album of prints from which some of the titles are drawn. You will note that at the start there are a lot of pictures of 1917 but that the album page containing this print is indeed dated 1920 in the album.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for posting that very nice set of interesting photographs, and as you say it also contains a print of the photograph showing the British soldier carrying the Pattern 1907 bayonet with the hooked quillion still attached, and that photograph has the contemporary hand-written notation that it shows " Machine Guns posted at the Jaffa Gate April 4 - 13 1920 ".

Also, the photograph bottom left refers to an " Aeroplane over the City during the riots April 5 1920 ", which confirms the ' riots '.

I appreciate the confirmations.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-82040200-1408972140_thumb.j

Many thanks to Chris for his help with the photographs, and for providing the links to the source album for the captions, it's very much appreciated.

Yes I am pleased. I just spent a very long evening going through the wonderful Matson Collection. What a fantastic insight into the GW in Palestine.

I saw very good quality wartime images of Turkish, German and Austrian troops as well as the British / Allied forces taken in and around Jerusalem.

And I am always happy to accept when I am wrong. If something can be proven to be true, than it is true, and I never have a problem with the truth.

I knew that I had seen that style of photography before. Now I know where all those AWM photos actually came from. At least I got the source right.!

And what a source. The American Colony photographers were certainly dedicated to their work, and they were there for the duration ... documenting.

After looking through many of the photographs, all I can say is that the Library is lucky to have had access to the album to assist with their captioning.

It appears the collection of negatives was in a shambles, with little in the way of accompanying notes. And I believe the cataloguing does reflect this.

Here are a few of the photos linked below, including some which I would still be very dubious about, especially those with very close negative numbers.

LC-M31- 14622 This photo is obviously showing Turks. Check the note "Title in list, Matson Collection ... misidentifies image as "Arab-Jew riots, 1920".

LC-M31- 14623 British troops

LC-M31- 14625 Again another photo with more Turks. Check the note "Title in list, Matson Collection ... misidentifies image as "Arab-Jew riots, 1920".

LC-M31- 14626 British troops

LC-M31- 14627 British troops

LC-M31- 60075 And this one was taken in 1917 during the parade at Jerusalem. I now think all those photos held at the AWM came from this source.

Cheers, S>S

...I now think all those photos held at the AWM came from this source.

Thanks for those links SS! Nice to see old Cemal Pasha again... Sad story there, but...

Have you checked the AWM files? If the photographs there did come from the same source that should be indicated in the accession records.

TTFN,

Trajan