Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SOMME BATTLEFIELD TOURS

tamos123

Hi All

Did the Old Cotemptibles Tour this year with Leger and throughly enjoyed it. Desperate to go to the Somme next year but they have changed their Walking the Somme tour and now do not take in Gommecourt....which is a shame. Looking at the War Research Battlefield Tour brochure as well.

What I am really looking for is a tour that concentrates on as much field walking as possible.

Are there any other tours/ tour companies anyone can recommend

much appreciated

T

Tamos

There are stack of them- I have been with both Somme Tours & the War Research Society in the past. There are also a number of Forum Pals who do tours. Suggest you look at the very many threads on this topic.

You could also arm yourself with some good books, including Walking the Somme, and do a DIY

Alternatively there are a number of B&Bs who proprietors do guided tours. Avril Williams at Auchonvillers springs to mind.

Good luck

Martin

Why stick to the mud over there?

Our mud over around verdun and the St. Mihiel Salient is much more glutinous and our trenches are far better preserved.

Please get in touch if you would like to come over here. I'm sure we can organise something. Bring a few friends as well.

Been with Flanders Tours and they do do a lot of walking! Highly recommend them for content, attention to detail and knowledge.

Bernard

I second Bernard on Flanders Tours run by 4 time WFA chairman Tony Noyes, they walk quite a bit, usually all of July 1 line and other times different parts of battlefield, they have a web site with details.

Hi

I was on a leger tour when i first visted the battlefield have been doing DIY ever since, Try VIC Puik as a guide, a complete gentleman and very very knowledgeable on the subject. He also has a B&B in Hardecort du Bois called Les Allouttes. Highly highly recommended.

Regards

Ross,