Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P.A.R.

GavinH

I know that Z.A.R. on a M.I.C. indicates that the soldier was discharged to the Z Class Army Reserve. However, I have come across a note on a SWB Roll which states 'Discharge to Class P.A.R.' Can anyone suggest what this means. Was there a P Class Army Reserve?

Thanks

Gavin

I wrote the original post while I was at work. I've now double checked the roll, and the full note says 'To Class P.A.R. 60/B AG10'. Any ideas?

Thanks

Gavin

Gavin

There was a Class P reserve and a Class P (T) which was for Territorials, although I have not yet discovered what this class of reserve was for. I do have a suspicion that it it was a class of reserve like Class W - for men discharged to civil employment during the war but could be recalled at any time and technically speaking were still under military control.

AG10 is the department of the Adjutant Generals Department that was administering this file. Out of interest, was this man an officer or OR?

Terry Reeves

Hello Terry,

Thanks for your interesting reply. This man was B/594 Pte Henry Thomas Cooper of the 2nd Btn, Rifle Brigade. I believe the 'B' prefix denotes an Army Reservist. He enlisted 23/08/14, and went to France on the 27/12/14, which would seem to support this interpretation. According to the SWB Roll, he was discharged on 11/06/18 to Class P.A.R. However, the 1915 Star Roll shows 'Dis Para 392 (XVIa) 01/01/19'.

Regards

Gavin

Gavin

Authorisation was given in December 1918, for all classes of the P and W reserves (with the exception of conscientious objectors in the latter case) to be discharged, irrespective of their terms of engagement. This fits in with his discharge date of 1.1.19.

Terry Reeves

• 2 weeks later...

PARA 392 KR 1912 DISCHARGE UNDER XV..A "FREE UNDER ARTICLE1130" THIS ARTICLE I THINK IS TO DO WITH THE PURCHASE OF A SOLDIERS DISCHARGE. A SOLDIER MAY PURCHASE HIS DISCHARGE IF HE IS WITHIN 3 MTHS OF T OF ENGAGEMENT AND SERVING AT HOME. THE CO MAY GRANT DISCHARGE FREE IN SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES. BEST WISHES, HOWARD.

Howard,

Thank you very much for your interesting and helpful reply. I'd also like to add that I have found your Collectors Guide an extremely useful source of information. I can honestly recommend it to anyone who has a interest in the subject.

Regards

Gavin

THANKS GAVIN, I TOO HAVE LEARNT A BIT FROM THIS THREAD!! IT IS NICE TO BE ABLE TO ADD A SMALL PIECE TO THE JIGSAW. TERRY WAS SPOT ON WITH HIS INFO WHICH CONFIRMED A REPLY REGARDING CLASS P I SENT TO ANOTHER QUERY. BEST W. HOWARD.