Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whitworth's Unidentified Lancashire Fusilier

Gillian0511

This is a photo of Whitworth's Unidentified Soldier. He is a Lancashire Fusilier, he has a pin in the button hole of his left pocket (no idea what it is for), he has two pips on each shoulder epilette and an inverted chevron on his left sleeve which means he saw action for two years.

Now Whitworth was part of Rochdale Borough in 1914 so he would have enlisted there and been a member of the Territorial Forces. Other than that I don't know anything else about him or what battlion he was in. can anyone help?

post-108281-0-16098000-1408544723_thumb.

Not pips, just the standard two piece LF shoulder title. He is a Private with a good conduct chevron indicating two previous years recognised good conduct. Nothing to indicate a battalion I'm afraid.

Rgds

Tim D

thanks tim, I was a bit puzzled with the shoulder badges as I can't quite make out what it says. I will keep digging though x

Its a flaming grenade over LF.

What makes you think he was a member of the TF? Do you know when and where the photo was taken?

Tim

post-1563-0-49629300-1408548533_thumb.jp

Hi Gillian,

Still trying to work out exactly what you mean by "Whitworth's Unidentified Soldier"...

Julian

PS: No photo's of him with clogs and Alsatian dogs is there?

This is a photo of Whitworth's Unidentified Soldier. He is a Lancashire Fusilier, he has a pin in the button hole of his left pocket (no idea what it is for), ....

The "pin" is probably a short bar on the end of the chain or cord which is hanging below the pocket flap. It attaches the chain/cord to the pocket flap to avoid losing it.

There could be a pocket watch, or maybe a penknife on the end, inside the pocket.

CGM

Hi guys, the photo was handed in to the local historical museum a while back. They don't know who he is as there is no information about him, his family, his regiment or anything. All they know about him is that he may be from Whitworth in Lancashire, where I am from. The reason he might have been in the TF is that whitworth was part of Rochdale Borough in 1914, long before it became part of Lancashire (which was in 1970's) and the sign up place then was Rochdale, which was a TF base of the Lancashire Fusiliers.

and no, there is no photo of him with clogs and alsation dogs.....at least I don't think there is! ;)

Its a flaming grenade over LF.

What makes you think he was a member of the TF? Do you know when and where the photo was taken?

Tim

Hi Tim,

This is what I am trying to find out about right now so I can update my local historical museum that has his photo up there. They know nothing about him, except he maybe from whitworth and this photo may have been taken in 1916/1917.