Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hi Pals,

Just a quick message from the Herts at War Project to let you know about a few items that might prove of interest if you ever have cause to research personnel from Hertfordshire or those who served in a Hertfordshire unit.

As a First World War centenary project and exhibition we have worked hard over the last few years to tell the story of the county at home and at war, culminating in the first phase of a museum exhibition (in Letchworth Garden City, Herts) until August, 2015.

During this first year we plan to document and digitise as many records as possible. This message is to let you know that we have just finished digitising the 'North Herts Express' newspaper for the 1914-1918 period and we are in the process of releasing it via e-edition in partnership with our local paper, The Comet, in real time (minus exactly 100 years).

We also have the entire originals digitised, and will soon have two other papers (The Citizen and Herts Mercury), all of which will be available to use (for free of course). So really it is just a heads up that iif you would like a search, to receive the e-edition each week as a matter of interest, or would like to visit, you would be most welcome.

We are also digitising many diaries, records and files relating to the Herts Regiment and Yeomanry that are previously unseen, so again, please feel free to get in touch.

Finally, we are creating a series of daily videos on YouTube which will explore some of the items we have been kindly loaned or donated. You can find these here, this is designed to be ongoing with around one per day for the foreseeable future, so please feel free to check from time to time.

Current newspaper e-edition link: http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?pbid=3ba2d238-7433-4c6e-b67e-e9937833a717

YouTube link here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyRL6UvONsxCLj1vDxrnd7Q

Anyway, that's all for now!

Many thanks,

Dan

• 2 years later...

Hello.  Do you have direct URL(s) for these Hertfordshire WWI newspapers that you have digitized?  Tried (unsuccessfully) hitting the above URL hyperlink but it didn't work most likely because the plugin is not loaded or is not updated.  Alternative access points?

Tx,

John

Good for Herts.  I suspect that more local library systems will go over to having their newspaper holdings digitised as waiting for the BNA project to get round to them is a pipe-dream. May I contact you directly and ask for information about how you went about digitising, facilitators, software, costs(especially). My own local authority is humming on a Heritage grant application-Hard figures as to costs and providers would be welcome.

(What I cannot understand with BNA is that where newspapers are already microfilmed, why BNA doesnt get a move on-running a microform reel is most of the work done.

2 hours ago, John Gilinsky said:

Hello.  Do you have direct URL(s) for these Hertfordshire WWI newspapers that you have digitized?  Tried (unsuccessfully) hitting the above URL hyperlink but it didn't work most likely because the plugin is not loaded or is not updated.  Alternative access points?

Tx,

John

The above link to the archive works fine on my phone, not tried it on a pc however.

http://html5.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/default.aspx?pubname=Herts at War&pubid=3ba2d238-7433-4c6e-b67e-e9937833a717

the Herts at War link works fine too.

http://www.hertsatwar.co.uk/

Edited by wandererpaul

Yes tx for the direct url BUT the pagesuite professional software does not appear currently compatible.  Any suggestions per accessing these pages or they still "under construction" or how to substitute/override "pagesuite?"

Tx

John

11 hours ago, John Gilinsky said:

Yes tx for the direct url BUT the pagesuite professional software does not appear currently compatible.  Any suggestions per accessing these pages or they still "under construction" or how to substitute/override "pagesuite?"

Tx

John

It works perfectly on my laptop, using the link I posted. May I suggest you update or download Adobe Flash onto your system.

Paul

Edited by wandererpaul

I can access the first link in post 4 using Google Chrome, but I cannot access it using Safari. I have an IMac. Using Safari I get a blank screen with a message saying I need to download the latest version of Flash, which I have already done.

Also, my eyesight is not 100%, and I cannot increase the size enough to read the smallest print.

Cheers

Maureen