Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help need with 2 British transport fuses

Sniper Snoop

Hello all!

I have two new transport fuses in my collection. They are great! I can read the stamps pretty well and they are in good condition. Unfortunately not in perfect condition and unfortunately i can not read some stamps very well. So i need some help!

2nuu9hk.jpg

2r7rn1v.jpg

1zzrorn.jpg

The first flat fuse is made in August 1916. I have no idea by wich factory. i can read UCB or JCB. Help me? I think the B and C stands for Brass Company? And also the type. I can read No but not the number. Its 1 or 4.... I think 4???

mllclj.jpg

2vdoa9w.jpg

This is the No.2. I think No.2 Mk.II because the two stripes above the factory. The Factory is IB&C. I have no idea what it means. I think the last is & Company. Who can help me with the factory?

Last question. On wich calibres were those used? They fit on mine 18 pounder, 4.5 Inch, 6 Inch, 60 Pounders...... But what was the good calibres they have be used?

Thanks!

Not fuzes but transit plugs. The slotted one was commonly used with the 2-inch trench mortar bomb (toffee apple) and the cap with the recess for a wrench I have seen on 60 pounders, but both share the same thread and can be used on any ammunition with a 2-inch diameter thread, which was virtually all British shells, but heavier pieces such as the eight inch would have a transit plug with a loop for a winch hook.- SW

It's possible to see the transit plug in place on some of these 2 inch mortar warheads

post-9885-0-04289800-1408613716_thumb.jp

Actual fuze protruded

post-9885-0-18672900-1408613778_thumb.jp

Yes, i have one with a loop. The No.8 plug. Question, any idea about the abbreviations and wich type the first one is? The plug with the slotted one.