Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18 Pounder shell paint finish query

MikeyH

Am currently refurbishing a complete 18 pounder shell, dated 1916. Have painted the cast shell body in semi-flat black, which seems to suit it well. Shrapnel shells carried for indentification purposes, a single or sometimes 2 painted red bands.

Would these have been finished in gloss or matt paint, and which would be correct, a single or double band on a 1916 shell?

Mike.

This subject has been discussed previously on this forum. But briefly the 'Explanatory List of Service Marking' dated 1917 describes 'fixed ammunition with shrapnel shell' as having a 'lead coloured' body with a red painted tip, denoting shrapnel, then a one inch gap and then a 3/4 inch red band denoting 'filled'. I have seen several 18 pdr shrapnel shells in their original paint scheme and the bodies are usually a flat black, which I suppose could be described as 'lead-coloured, and the red is semi-matt. A typical set of stencilling shown on the body is W.11/15 over W over 7/14 -SW

post-47661-0-78296900-1408527718_thumb.j

Sommewalker,

Many thanks, now down to the model shop for a tiny tin of 'Humbrol' semi-matt. red, reminds me of my 'Airfix' kit days.

Mike.

No, don't use masking tape - always a give away of a modern paint job. Put the shell up on a couple of battens, mark your margins in chalk, load your paint brush, apply it to the body while rolling the shell away from you. If the result is a bit ragged so much the better! - SW