Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Found weapons, equipment and gear

Guest Trench Boezinge

Guest Trench Boezinge

I would like to show you a little of my materials I found on the surface (without digging) in my area, I live in Boezinge near Ypres,

I would very much like you to help me identify the following materials I found scattered througout my area of living.

post-23-1098705642.jpg

Guest Trench Boezinge

A while ago I asked a farmer if I may have a look in his pile of old and rusted iron, he said I can have whatever I wanted from that because, some truckdriver would come to take it all away to recycle it.

There I found a rifle, a bajonet, grenades (which I left behind), etc., I showed him the rifle and the bajonet and he said it was ok, I thank him and went home.

This is the bajonet : Is this British, Belgian, German, French, or Second worldwar ...?

post-23-1098706445.jpg

The first bayo is a Brit P07 for the SMLE rifle. The crossguard is missing.The rifle is an SMLE. The second bayo i can't make out, need close-ups.

Too bad that so much history is just being junked. I would think there might be some more organised efforts to save it, but money would be the issue no doubt.

I've read that scrap metal was a major industry in such places until some years after the war; clearly there's still a lot left.

BTW, i'm always looking for battle-damaged items: belt buckles & Allied helmet shells, if anyone has any to sell.

I have a nice complete (except for the wood) German G98 rifle, still loaded i think, & a P07 bayo from the Somme, battle-damaged Pruss M-47 buckle from Belleau Wood, & other relics obtained second-hand.

Guest Trench Boezinge

Thank you very much for identifying the bajonet and the rifle I'm going to put an eticket on them.

For the 2nd bajonet here comes a few close ups.

post-23-1098727119.jpg

From what i can see it may be another P07, in worse shape than the other one.

I also have:

Good Turk M-09 bayo, reputed to be from Gallipoli.

Battle-damaged Austrian M-16 helmet shell, Isonzo.

Bat.-dam. German M-16 shell

Assorted relics from the Isonzo

Front (less picked over than the Westfront).

Bat.-dam. French M-16 shell (no badge, unfortunately. The badge is worth more than a "beat" shell, so people strip them)

Those are just my WWI relics.

Guest Trench Boezinge

Thanks again for indentifying this 2nd bajonet.

This one I found next to a little stream (very wet soil) on a corner of a field, put there by the local farmer next to very big bomb, 100 yards from the Yorkshire Dugout and the same distance from the Ieperleecanal.

I guess the 1st bajonet must have been on the friendly farmers attick for several years the woodwork is as new.

Can I see some pictures of your collection ?

I wish i could, but don't have the gear to do that.

I also have a Coppel 98/05 bayo supposed to be from the Somme. The blade is in relatively good condition with all markings clear, was probably protected by the scabbard.

The hilt is quite pitted & rusted & the grips are swollen up due to corrosion of the tang, but are still all there.