Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt John Peake Knight DSO

brummell

Could a kind fellow member assist me with information on Capt John Peake Knight DSO? He was an officer of the Royal Field Artillery and at the time of his death on 31 August 1916 was in command of 35th (Howitzer) Battery RFA, the battery in which I currently serve, long since re-designated as 88 (Arracan) Battery RA.

I have read elsewhere on the forum that he is listed in de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour, although I am unsure which volume; certainly not the two that are available free online. I am particularly interested in the picture of him.

Thanks in advance,

brummell

Hi

There is a picture of him in the DSO Book 1886-1923 & a good write up. Unfortunately I have an original copy & can't photocopy from it, too fragile. In my copy it is on Page 335 of Part I dealing with 1886 to the 31st Dec 1915. I believe that there is a reprint around now.

Peter

Captain John Peake Knight, DSO, RA

Born at Brighton, Kent on 3 Aug 1880 at Brighton, the eldest son of James Percy Knight, Sundridge Park, Bromley, Kent and his wife, Ellen Knight.

Gentleman Cadet, Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, Sept 1909

2nd Lieut., RFA, 23 Dec 10

Lieut., RFA, 23 Dec 13

Captain, RFA, 11 Aug 15

Went to France on 18 Aug 14 with 60th Battery, RFA.

Took part in the retreat from Mons, the Battle of the Marne, First Battle of Ypres, Neuve Chapelle, Festubert, Loos and Vermelles, and the First Battle of the Somme.

Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette of 19 Oct 14

In Dec 1914 he transferred to F Battery, RHA

Distinguished Service Order, London Gazette of 1 Dec 14 'for conspicuous consistent gallantry in assisting infantry, especially on 10 November. Has shown himself full of enterprise and initiative. His work much encouraged the infantry.

Received the DSO from the King at Hazebroucke Station on 3 Dec 14.

Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette of 17 Feb 15

On 11 Aug 15 he was posted as Battery Captain of 35th Battery, RFA

Killed in action near Montauban while commanding 35th Battery, RFA on the Somme on 31 Aug 16.

Sources: The Distinguished Service Order 1886-1923; The Roll of Honour (DeRuvigny); The Story of "F" Troop Royal Horse Artillery; War Diary of 44th Brigade, RFA.

I have a photo in my book Brighton and the Great War. Listed on St Martin Parish Church Memorial, St Peters book and brighton memorial