Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

125th Napier's Rifles - 20th December 1914 (Belgium)

Laird of Camster

Ladies/Gents,

Can anyone assist me with what the 125th Napier's Rifles, were doing on the 20th December 1914. They appear to have sustained 12 killed in action on this day.

Also how many Drummers would they have had and how old are they likely to have been? What's the likely hood of obtaining service records?

Many thanks in advance,

Gordon.

Battle of Givenchy - Germans counter-attacked on that day - heavy shelling - the 125th Rifles was mixed up in the mess, a 125th MG section covering a withdrawl was pretty much wiped out, and there were some other casualties that day as well to the 125th. I hope this helps,

Christopher

Battle of Givenchy - Germans counter-attacked on that day - heavy shelling - the 125th Rifles was mixed up in the mess, a 125th MG section covering a withdrawl was pretty much wiped out, and there were some other casualties that day as well to the 125th. I hope this helps,

Christopher

Many thanks Chris. That is very interesting. The soldier I`m researching was a drummer so I`m assuming he was killed by a shell?

It looks that way, but could have been a bullet - who knows if the War Diary gives more information. Still, they did suffer casualties on that day, so this is probably the fate of your man.