Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a good Imperial Zeppelin Photo

Guest shenkursk

Guest shenkursk

Jon Holland kindly invited me to join your forum at the US MAX show, and it has made for some interesting reading!

I thought I would post a note to see if anyone has a good publication grade photo that depicts a German WWI Zeppelin. I am working on the back cover of our next militaria sales catalog... and that is the missing piece of the puzzle for this issue.

If you have something good hidden away in your collection, I would be glad to pay you for the use of the image, and give you proper photo credit. (Looking for good content, and an image with sharp, clear focus and contrast that would print well.) My email is agm@museumresources.com.

Thanks very much!

Jeff Shrader

Advance Guard Militaria

http://www.advanceguardmilitaria.com

Guest Chip Minx

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum! I have been participating for several months now. Lots of good information here. Though I collect British/Commonwealth, I have a lot of knowledge gaps, especially when it comes to medals and such. As you know, my specialty is German militaria, but I do get to help with that at times. I know you will find something of interest here.

Best regards,

Chip

Guest shenkursk

Thanks Chip!

I am glad that Jon pointed the forum out to me. Seems like a real nice, informed bunch of collectors and historians.

The deeper into this stuff that I get, the more I realize how much there is to learn! I look forward to rubbing elbows with more intellectual types like yourself.

In the course of my search for a back cover airship photo, I finally unpacked the rest of the glass stereo slides for the viewing machine that came from the Dadizele museum. That was a mistake! Anna and I lost about four hours clicking through the photos. The stereo stuff is about as close to touring the trenches as any of us will ever experience. We had a stereo card viewer and slides which we sold, but these glass ones are beautiful. Unfortunately, they are also fragile and a bit sensitive to manage. If you find your way down to SE Missouri for any reason, let me know - I am sure you would enjoy these.

Have you found any good shoulder straps lately? It sure would be nice to see you, Jim Hall, Bob Evans, and Mike get together and do a book on those.

JS

Guest Chip Minx

Jeff,

A book could happen. I'm still collecting period photos for it. There is more research to do too. A really rare Bavarian M/15 enlisted "K" Flak strap recently turned up and Jim Hall got it. Never seen one before. It's always nice to confirm that these things existed.

Would love to see your glass slides. Maybe someday. Let me know the next time you make it to K.C.

Best regards,

Chip

Guest Pete Wood

Jeff, I have lots of Zeppelin photos. But they have all been published or have been sourced from various books and/or magazines.

If you don't mind that fact, let me know what you would like and I can post a few low res pics here on the forum. You can then choose which one you like and I'll email you a high resolution copy.

:)

Guest shenkursk

Thanks very much - I really appreciate it! Unpublished is not really an issue, just content and clarity.

I am looking for a horizontal format photo (almost a given when talking about airships, I suppose) with nice martial content, crisp focus, and good contrast for printing. This will be background for a Navy Airship Badge.

If you want to contact me directly, I would be glad to chat with you. email is agm@museumresources.com

Best regards,

Jeff

Guest Pete Wood

Here are 11 very low resolution pics of Zeppelins. I know you have asked for horizontal formats, but I have included a couple of (deserving?) vertical contendors.

Pic 1

post-23-1099040758.jpg

Guest Pete Wood

Picture 2 This was the black and grey dope used to disguise airships at night. Water ballast is being poured out, midships, to balance the ship - soaking the groundcrew.

post-23-1099040794.jpg