Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

North Staffordshire TF

KONDOA

I have been on with this thread at various times and am pleased to say I have made some progress with regard to Pte. Arthur Hill, my grandfather.

I recently got a portion of medal roll pertinant to his service and noticed that the whole page included men transferred to various NStaffs Batts from the Lincolns.

I am therefore interested to know if any Chums are able to approximate a date of transfer from the Lincolns to the NStaffs for Arthur Hill or amy have any other clues or pointers for me to persue.

Will be most grateful for any suggestions recieved.

• 1 month later...

Evening Chums,

Just to update this post.

Have recieved today the 2/6th North Staffs War Diary pre and post their service in Ireland.

The Lincoln men were Derby scheme men which fits exactly with my grandfather Arthur Hill (him being sent away as too young in 1914) joining the NStaffs.

Between 22nd. January 1916 and 16th. February 1916 a total of 191 ranks were brought onto strength from (Derby Recruits) Administrative Center.

Thanks for previous efforts by Jim Davies with this subject.

Roop

Guest pennyindorset

Hi there, i too am looking into the north staff regiment due to grandad doing service with them, due to being a woman,a blonde woman who thought a threatre was where you go to watch panto s but now know otherwise am struggling to get my brain around so much info on this site so any chance of picking your brains, please?

Roop,

Glad you caught break on this. I know how rewarding it can be when it starts to come together.

Penny,

If you post the lad's details I'm sure someone will be able to point you in right direction.

Jim

Thanks Jim, brilliant progress as its actually replaced the old family stories with facts which is always a bonus.

Penny I have the war diary from January 1916 to end of May 1918 so anything fallin between there and I can assist. Didnt get the remainder because I know Grandad wasn,t there because of trench foot.

Roop

Just a shot in the dark but have you Private James Keeling North Staffs 20558 on your medal Roll list. I don't even know his Battalion but it seems he transferred to RAMC

Cheers

Jane

( Great Niece)

Hi Jane,

Unfortunately not as I only have the page pertinant to my man. However , medal roll lists are availbale at the NA and can be found easily by the Medal Index Card which can be downloaded . Maybe a visitor to the NA could acquire your needs if given the MIC roll number etc.

Roop

Cheers anyway, I'll get myself along to Kew.

I have been twice already but that was before I found this forum so I didn't appreciate the difference between Medal Index cards and Medal Rolls - I thought they were the same thing.

Nor did I appreciate how much information can be gleaned from MICs

I see from your sample of the Medal Roll the Company and Battalion or each soldier is listed so if I can get this information for my 4 Staffordshire soldiers from there.

Amazingly all my Scotish soldiers went to Aberdeen University so a kind forum member sent me all their details from the University Roll of Honour + a few extra relatives I didn't know about!!

Jane

Jane,

Pleased you have made some progress and also pleased the Forum has been of assistance. Kew should answer your query regarding which battalions etc and then it is relatively easier to follow the unit histories.

Keep trucking

Roop