Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilts Regt, Sgt J.Cottenham, ex 5th RSxR

fjwiltshire

Can anyone help me with more information about Sgt. John Thomas Hollamby Cottenham who enlisted in 2/5th Royal Sussex Regt TF, aged 15 (claimed 17) on 5th Feb 1913. Service no.1605. His MIC shows his RSR rank as sgt, the cross and 4 dot symbol (I think??) shows his foreign service was first with RSR. Later he was transferred to the Wiltshire Regt. His new number was 26754. The ever helpful Sotonmate looked up his medal roll entry and informed me he was in the 2nd Battalion.

With this information I rushed to the Wardrobe website to read the war diary. And what a boring, uninformative read that is. At some point John was wounded and eventually (30/10/1918) discharged KR392(xvi) wounds. SWB awarded.

So that's it. His MIC shows no 14 or 14/15 Star, so from his new number can anyone suggest when his transfer happened. Did he first serve overseas with the RSR? Can anyone, a Wilts Regt. expert with the history book perhaps, offer any help?

Frank

Frank

The enlistment number/date sequence on the Silver War Badge Lists occasionally helps where there are nearby numbers. This one (I just did 16 pages (800 entries)) and find two seams,which you won't want to hear ! Dec 1915 has a good sprinkling of nearby numbers from within 20 to 100 either side of 26754,and then there are a few in 1916,viz. 26770 22 May 26777 on 28 Jun and up to 27126 on 22 Sep ! So not a positive exercise on this occasion.

Sotonmate, you triumph again. A good idea and very much a positive exercise.

It didn't work with the SWB list but by downloading the war diary, finding the days of heavy losses and cross checking with CWGC and MICs or SDGW, I find that 2/Wilts men with service numbers 26600 plus were transferees replacing losses in July 16.

The diary states, 10 Aug16, 36 Dorset ORs join, then a steady stream follow. As a rough guide, 26600 to 26750 are Dorset men. 26750 to 26830 are from Sussex. 26830 onward are from Lincs. Regt.

So it seems he transferred Nov/Dec 1916. Unfortunately, not one of these men's records survive.

So, I'm not too much closer finding out his history, but it rules out the Somme battles and explains his transfer. Much fighting lay ahead for the 2nd, so I'll read on.

Thanks as always for your interest and help.

Frank