Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Recruiting Area Figures?

MJROB

Dear All,

Just wondering if anyone has any to suggestions to reading material which will provide recruitment data for the various recruitment areas of the United Kingdom during the First World War.

I'm particularly interested in the rush of recruits during the initial stages of the conflict, and have collected data for the years 1910-1913 for the various recruiting areas but, thus far, I have been unable to lock down the comparitive figures for 1914. Before I go trailing off into the primary material, I am hopeful that a study has already published the figures.

Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Regards,
MJROB

I recently listened to a podcast by Dr Catriona Pennell on recruitment in the early stages of the war and found it very interesting. I believe the research formed the basis for her doctoral research, and has since been published as:

A Kingdom United: Popular Responses to the Outbreak of the First World War in Britain and Ireland, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2012

I haven't ever come across the book (it's pretty pricey) but might be worth tracking down.

I'm sure other pals will be able to suggest others.

Barrie

PS I downloaded the podcast from Itunes - it was free!

[Edit - just checked the book on Amazon and it's cheaper than I remember]

I just checked where I found the podcast; its on the iTunes Store in the 'iTunes U' section, look for Oxford University and they have a series called 'First World War: New Perspectives'. The episode is called "Rethinking British Volunteerism in 1914: A Rush to the Colours?"

The wartime monthly enlistment figures by Recruiting Area are at the NA, in the Ministry of National Service papers ref. NATS 1/84. Subdivides the figures into "Regular" (incl New Army) and "Territorial" as well. For a shorter period 1914-?15, there are also daily figures in NATS 1/85.

I can't myself think of a publication which charts them all, but I'm sure someone must have done some number-crunching since I last saw them in 1982!!

Clive

Thank you for both of those suggestions. Clive, that's exactly what I was thinking. Surely a study has already been published to save me a job!! One can hope....

Regards,
MJROB