Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adelaide Cemetery - possible reburial?

BelgianExile

Hi all,

I was at Adelaide Cemetery at the weekend, at at the back of the cemetery on the right there is what looks like a 'new' grave. It's next to two other headstones that are new, and you can see that the grass by them is a different colour. The pic attached is fairly clear - does anyone know if there's a reburial planned? I've looked at the CWGC website but there's nothing there, and they didn't reply to my tweet.

post-100070-0-12586700-1408010092_thumb.

Sent a PM with this contact info:

Erna Rondelez
Records and General Administrator
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Elverdingestraat 82, Ieper, B-8900, Belgium
Tel: +32 (0) 57223636 | Ext: 4536 | Direct: +32 (0) 57221536 | Mobile: +32 (0) 473822249 | Fax: +32(0) 57218014

Email: erna.rondelez@cwgc.org

Norman

• 3 weeks later...

In October 2013, a local landowner discovered human remains in one of his cultivated fields on the outskirts of Bouzincourt. It is believed that the casualty was a victim of the Battle of Albert (1 - 13 July 1916). The casualty was found with a number of different regimental badges that he had collected. The casualty will be buried as a British Soldier of the Great War "Known unto God" at Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension (Plot I, Row K, Grave 11).

Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension at 09.00 on 28 August

During August 2013, human remains were uncovered during trench work for a new gas pipeline on the outskirts of Villers Bretonneux. From artefacts found with the casualty, it was apparent that he was from the British forces who, along with the Australians, had been involved in fighting around the area, particularly during 1918. The casualty will be buried as a British Soldier of the Great War "Known unto God" at Adelaide Cemetery, Villers Bretonneux (Plot II, Row R, Grave 3).

Adelaide Cemetery, Villers Bretonneux at 10.45 on 28 August.

There doesn't seem to have been any media coverage of these two burials.

Did anybody attend?