Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Gazette " New" Search facility

Hywyn

I haven't had cause to conduct a search of the LG for a while. I clicked on my bookmarked page only to find that the search page that I was expecting has been 'updated'.

I watched their video on how to search patiently and was told I could 'even select a period' one example of which was WW1. My problem is, is that I cannot get WW1 up as an option (like on the 'old' search) and would need to manualy input the dates. On the face of it it seems to me at the moment that they have made it harder.

Has anyone bookmarked the relevant page that will bring up WW1? I'd post the details of what I'm searching for but this, at the moment, is more of a request of how to go about it

Hywyn

It is harder, but I found with my browser (FireFox) that it "remembers" the dates you put in so once you've done it the first time you just have to click in the date box the second time and then pick the date in the drop down box that pops up, from the short selection you've used before. I think you will find a lot of us on here agree with you about the "new" search being a backward step though!

Hi

Heres a link that will just search WW1 (This already has the perameters set in)

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/notice?sort-by=oldest-date&end-publish-date=1920-12-31&start-publish-date=1914-06-28&location-distance-1=1&categorycode-all=all&numberOfLocationSearches=1&results-page-size=100

Use the text box for a name and or regimental number etc. (ie dont fiddle with anything else)

Is this what you are after ??

Regards

Graeme

• Admin

I seem to get results much easier than with the 'old search'.

Not an answer to your query but I no longer bother with the date, as Graeme says name and regimental number (or regiment) usually comes to the top.

Ken

Thanks all. It looks like yet another 'New' search function to get used to.

That is the sort of thing I was looking for Graham and I bookmarked it. The video said that you could select certain events e.g WW1 and WW2 etc (much like the old one I suppose) and the dates would be put in automatically. I could not find that option. It didn't help that the man I was looking for had a very low, two digit, number. It's resolved now though and probably when I have a more normal search of 4 , 5 or 6 digit numbers I'll be less grumpy!

Thanks again