also this mysterious object with

ridder av del ribbede roy

and hollingtons name etched either side of

circular piece

any help would be greatfully received

kind regards

Alan

post-25500-0-71955600-1407875272_thumb.j

Too out of focus and no scale so difficult for anyone to give helpful answer.

Please try again with a clearer shot and of the inscription so we can see whether bits of it are missing.

What else can he tell you (and us!) of Airman 3rd Class Hollington?

Are "RAF" his initials or what?

(The RAF term only applies after 1st April 1918, so close to the end of the War, and less likely to be WW1)

Prior to 1st April, it would show as RFC.

Have you looked for a Medal Index Card or know anything further about his life, pre and post WW1?

• 2 years later...

My great uncle Frederick Ernest Hollington transferred to the RAF from the RN in April 1918. I can dig out his service record for you. He was involved with an attempt to fly to Cairo in the early 1920s, which ended with a crash near Rome in which he and one of the pilots were injured and the other pilot killed.

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 08:50, KevinBattle said:

(The RAF term only applies after 1st April 1918, so close to the end of the War, and less likely to be WW1)

Prior to 1st April, it would show as RFC.

Or  RNAS (Royal Naval Air Service)

Edited by pete-c

Surely this medal would have been awarded after the war ended, post 1st April 1918.

Tony P

• 1 year later...
On 03/03/2017 at 16:23, Phil Hollington said:

My great uncle Frederick Ernest Hollington transferred to the RAF from the RN in April 1918. I can dig out his service record for you. He was involved with an attempt to fly to Cairo in the early 1920s, which ended with a crash near Rome in which he and one of the pilots were injured and the other pilot killed.

Fredrick Ernest Hollington was my father,brother of Arthur and Charles .i have this medal also some letters and photos from ww1,including a letter regarding the crash with the Darley brothers,plus photo of the burnt out shell of the plane.

21 hours ago, Jacqueline hollington fletcher said:

Fredrick Ernest Hollington was my father,brother of Arthur and Charles .i have this medal also some letters and photos from ww1,including a letter regarding the crash with the Darley brothers,plus photo of the burnt out shell of the plane.

Hello Jacqueline. 

Arthur was my grandfather and as you probably know served in the RN through the war and afterwards. I also have photos of him, with Frederick, of Frederick with the Darleys, plus others I have not been able to identify. I am sure you already have thse but would be happy to send you. I also have Frederick’s and Charles’ service records.

it would be wonderful to see the other material you have - if you don’t want to post it here maybe you could contact me directly. My sister Jo and I would love to find out more about our father’s uncles. 

Best wishes

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

lm still waiting for an ID of the mystery object.!

It helps if a photographer gives an idea of scale in a case like this.

A coin we all know would suffice.

• 3 months later...

Dear Phil and Jaqueline,

I’m an Italian WWI historian and I’m doing some researches about some RAF crashes in Italy in 1919. Currently I’m working on the crash of Vickers Vimy F8622 on 28th September near Bracciano Lake.

I would be happy to be in touch with you, please write me at pavarri@tiscali.it

All the best

Paolo