Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Billericay

JohnYork

I caught part of a local news item yesterday about the war memorial in Billericay. Apparently a pair of Lime trees have damaged this memorial and since these trees are protected the council has suggested redesigning the memorial. I think the local British Legion have started a petition to keep the memorial in Billaricay If I am right this is WWII memorial but the principle is the same could a 21st century memorial replace one built and designed by peers of the fallen? I live in Colchester and a few years ago they replaced the plaques on trees in the Avenue of Remembrance with small red brick memorial nearby. The memorial is ok but not great and doesn't look like it'll last another 75 years. What helps is that the Trees in the Avenue of Remembrance are mostly still there and the area is well maintained. Personally I think this is potentially the beginning of a worrying trend as poorly maintained memorials become to difficult /expensive to repair around the country. What do members think??

I am up the road from Billericay and as PALS know Im not one to let matters rest, there are names on there that are on mine in Stock.

I have seen the 'newer type' and they are bland and just look like a pile of bricks.

It has style and age and was built by those who wanted their loved ones remembered.

I will contact the local branch of my RBL and see what they think.

My worry is, if the lime trees are protected then we have a situation... it isnt beyond the bounds of possibility to remove the memorial piece by piece and relocate it, if such a place can be found, but then that costs money, something which Basildon wont really want to do.

Needs thinking about...

Perhaps the local radio station would be interested in the story.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the local news tonight, Look EAst and the Billericay memorial issue was on again.

Seems it isnt the World War One memorial, but the Second World War memorial that is under threat.. looking at the photo it lies behind the cross.

They want to demolish it and rebuild it, the RBL and local relatives are not in favour of it happening

Watch this space they are meeting tonight

John

I must have walked past this every weekday during the 1958/9 on the way to School from Station Garage!

the trees look to have been pollarded already, I would think that in this case the trees could be removed and replacements planted elsewhere, speak to the councils arbouriculteral dept (hope Ive spelt that right) I love trees but in this case they have chopped about already and may have caused trouble for the building nearby, I think there may be a case to remove them

A similar situatipn arose with the local Walmley war memorial here at sunny Sutton Coldfield. The memorial was situated at what looked like an indentical type site, on a road corner with limited space traffic lights crossing etc and hemmed in by safety railings. As a result it was mainly ignored by traffic and pedestrians and no space for a safe service partucularly on days like today.

As part of a road improvement scheme it was removed to a larger green grass area a little way away where it is now a feature in the landscape with bags of room for the annual service.

OK it was lucky that space was available, but dont necessarily be against resiting as an immediate reaction. When our forebears sited these monuments they obviously had no inkling how traffic and road useage would increase.

If possible seek a cleaning restoration and a much more spacious or prominent site to retain its original purpose a promonent memorial in full public view.