Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U.S. 1918 Trench Knife with W.D. Markings.

markus

Hello all.

Does anyone have any information on the issue of American 1918 Pattern Trench Knives with British W.D. markings (together with a Broad Arrow stamp) ?

The knife in question is not an example of the usual Landers, Fray & Clark model, but has the makers markings of H.D. & S. 1918, which is Henry Disston & Sons, of Philadelphia (the original designer, I believe).

I've done a bit of trawling and can't find any details relating to any other knives with similar stampings, nor records of War Department contracts for the acquisition of such. Any ideas ? Thank you.

post-92325-0-43188700-1407800919_thumb.j

post-92325-0-12632200-1407800935_thumb.j

Greetings Markus,

Yes, it is a spurious marking and a complete fantasy item that I have seen two of already in the past year. Here's one http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/206277-is-this-hd-s-1918-trench-knife-real/?hl=disston#entry1616248 It would seem, the folks getting stuck with these just don't wish to hear anything other than it is real. Save your money and do not get "stuck" with this forgery. If the attached thread does not convince you, then nothing will... feel free to buy it. No such WD marked variants are in any reference books and have only recently been "discovered." I have been collecting these knives for the last 30 years and never heard/viewed one until the two recently showed up. The H.D. & S. markings are wrong too, but hey... it's a rare variant... right?

Regards,

Lance

I would tend to agree. I don't know much about the knives themselves but as far as the British markings go, I believe the WD stamping was well out of use by that date, on Arms & Weaponry.

Cheers, S>S

Hi fellas.

Thanks for the warning, lesson learnt. The W.D. and Broad-Head did seem a bit strange, something didn't sit right with it, just an instant gut-reaction, even though I've never so much as held one of these before. The fairly crude file markings on the handle appear a bit too rough to have been passed by any contractor quality control, too.

Also much appreciate the links. Instant crash-course on repro v genuine and the possible pitfalls along the way, excellent stuff, thank you.

Enlightened !!!

All the best,

Mark.

Hi Lance.

A most comprehensive and excellent link, thanks.

You've certainly compiled a most succinct and thorough appraisal of the knuckle-knife subject, especially useful for the very interested but uninitiated, such as myself. Thank you.

I will feel a lot more confident now during my hunt for a genuine example. So, reproducers, get behind your sandbags, dig-in and beware !

Warmest regards,

Mark.

Edited by markus

Hello Mike.

Thanks for the link, although Lance has done a damned good job of setting me straight on the path. Little ambiguity remains in my mind now as to which knives are real and which are fake.

I very much appreciate the feedback, though. Forewarned is forearmed.

Warmest regards,

Mark.

Greetings Mike,

Happy you appreciated my efforts there too. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lance

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings Mike,

Happy you appreciated my efforts there too. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lance

Why yes I did. It's a great thread and some day I may reference it to make a purchase of my own. Now if I could convince my wife that it is essential to my collection and need to buy one. Is there a thread on that on either of the 2 forums that gives a tips and tricks to convincing the spouse? ;)

Mike