Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

bayonet ID

beestonboxer

sorry for the lack of quality of the photo , have a bayonet here that has a lockable sheath and one rivet in the grip any ideas , sorry I cant supply other images I took it in a bit of a hurry today it belongs to a friend. Has a makers mark W.G on the blade.

post-92260-0-33171300-1407690284_thumb.j

Offhand, It looks like a Scandinavian Krag bayonet. Which one I can't recall, and lunch is over, so I can't confirm for you.

Hi beestonboxer,

Yes, looks like a Norwegian Model 1894 bayonet. There are several variations. Are there any other marks? The Steyr bayonets, manufactured for Norway, are usually marked with the letters OE over WG and are usually numbered with the M1894 rifles from 1 to 20,000 and from 30,001 to 39,000.

I wonder if you can show a photo of the blade as some of long bayonets were shortened during the German occupation. They are easily recognized because the fuller extends to the point. In addition, during the German occupation in the period 1943-1945 a number of these short knife bayonets were manufactured. They are the same as the M1894 bayonet except that the scabbard has no finial knob. Since the bayonet you ask about has the finial knob I am assuming it is not one of these but again more detailed photos will help.

Regards,

Michael.

sorry to say I don't have it in my possession so I am unable to give any other details, I believe there was OE over the WG it was a little worn and not so clear but as I say I believe it was OE. , have to say that it seemed to be very light in comparison to other bayonets I have handled.