Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Batallion Grenadier Guards

Guest Alison1604

Guest Alison1604

Hello

My Great Uncle, Pte James George Handford, 25317, 1st battallion Grenadier Guards, was died of wounds in France on 20th December 1916. I have his service papers, but was surprised by how little detail is included in them.

I would like to try and discover more about his injuries and how they occured, or what was happening in the area where he was at the time. Can anyone tell me if this being a little too optimistic? I realise things were very chaotic.

Regards

Alison

If his wounds caused him to be invalided back to a UK hospital there is a a small chance there will be some documentation (copy letters to nok etc - might elaborate injury) in his service record that will reside with the Grenadier Guards archivist at Wellington Barracks, Chelsea.

• 1 month later...
Guest Alison1604

Re Pte James George Handford

Hello, and thanks for your reply.

He died and was buried in France. I already have a copy of his service record from the Guards archive and it doesn't give very much detail, just a rubber stamp saying "Died of wounds 20th December 1916, next of kin informed 29th December 1916"

Alison

Alison:

From the CWGC:

gordon

Casualty Details

Name: HANDFORD, JAMES GEORGE

Initials: J G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Grenadier Guards

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 20/12/1916

Service No: 25317

Additional information: Son of James and Sarah Ann Handford, of 19, Peel St., Derby.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. G. 24.

Cemetery: GROVE TOWN CEMETERY, MEAULTE

Also from the 1901 census:

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Alice Handford 5 Derby, Derbyshire, England Daughter Alvaston and Boulton Derbyshire

Annie Handford 7 Derby, Derbyshire, England Daughter Alvaston and Boulton Derbyshire

Emma E Handford 9 Derby, Derbyshire, England Daughter Alvaston and Boulton Derbyshire

James Handford 34 Derby, Derbyshire, England Head Alvaston and Boulton Derbyshire

James G Handford 10 Derby, Derbyshire, England Son Alvaston and Boulton Derbyshire

Mabel Handford 1 Derby, Derbyshire, England Daughter Alvaston and Boulton Derbyshire

Sarah Handford 33 Derby, Derbyshire, England Wife Alvaston and Boulton Derbyshire

From the war diary

15th/16th Dec - Bouleaux Wood

17th Dec - Relieved the 4th Battalion in the trenches

18th Dec - In line

19th Dec - Relieved by the 3rd Battalion and proceeded by rail (?) from Trones Wood to Bronfay

20th Dec - At Bronfay