Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Wilson Millington

andymill

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum although finding it really interesting.

I am trying to find out info on my gt grandfather John Wilson Millington who I believe was transfered to the Labour Corps.

He served in the South Lancashire regiment which is unusual as he was from Cockermouth and most from there serviced in the Boarder Reg I thought.

I found a medal roll card which said "Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire) Regiment, Labour Corps" and had the Regimental Numbers: 204772, 422689.

Trying to make sense of it, and wouldn't were to go to get more info on him.

I know he made it back home but died with in months of returning.

Thanks

Andy

post-113829-0-39394400-1407674372_thumb.

This is his entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Roll of Honour.

MILLINGTON, J W
Service No: 204772
Date of Death: 28/11/1919
Regiment/Service: South Lancashire Regiment transf. to (422689) Labour Corps
Grave Reference: M. CE. 19.
Cemetery: COCKERMOUTH CEMETERY
Additional Information: Husband of M. A. Millington, of 9, Kirkbank, Cockermouth.
It confirms his transfer.
A LINK to his entry, including some original documents.
CGM

JWs service number relates to 4 Battalion South Lancs in the 1917 re-numbering of the Territorial Force,interesting as a Sergeant that he only has a 1917 number which suggests that he only served from that point. I am suggesting that he may also be on another Medal Index Card as 7715 Private J Millington of the South Staffs,first landed in France on 12 Aug 1914 and was discharged on 1 Jul 1917. This was not as a result of wounds or sickness,no Silver War Badge issued,maybe it was as a result of service time expired. He could then have decided to re-sign,though if that were the case it seems that he got two sets of Brit War and Victory Medals !

Thanks folks. Interesting that it was the 4 Battalion South Lancs. Will look up the other medal card too.

I visited his grave a couple of years ago. Would just love to find out more about his time in WW1.

Thanks again.

His number 204772 was in a batch for issue to 4 Battalion and there were two elements of that:

1/4 which was a Pioneer Battalion for 55 Division in France and Flanders,and,

2/4 which went to France in Feb 1917 as part of 172 Infantry Brigade of 57 Division.

I took a peek at the service records which survived the 1940 bombing,and there is no apparent link to your man. This makes it harder to establish his activities as we can't yet say for sure which element he served.

I fancy that it was the 2/4 but can't prove that,it seems a better tie up,his number was a 1917 and 2/4 went overseas at that time as well,so nothing like an experienced soldier to help bed in the new unit.You might have to get a look at the War Diaires for the possibility that a Sergeant would be mentioned somewhere by name.Sometimes they list the NCOs,or if you are really lucky a more comprehensive list.Both War Diaries are digital and downloadable for a fee.

1/4 Battalion War Diary http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7354865

2/4 Battalion War Diary http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7355035